Addiction Expert Forum
methadone withdrawal

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

methadone withdrawal

i have been detoxed off methadone for the last six months or so and my last dose of 2ml was on friday 24/11/12,i have been feeling ok during the day but as soon as i want to relax BAM!!! it hits me,insomnia,skin crawling,i want to rip my bloody arms right off.
Has anyone any idea how long this will last?
There  is really no set rule of the length of time that the withdrawal will last. You have done quite an amazing  thing of being able to stop on your own.
Usually the reason you feel that way when you are not physically moving is because you are not producing enough endorphins to keep your receptors filled.
Try not to have any caffeine or sugars that can make those feeling of anxiety progress.
Try arm baths and maybe an Advil PM to help with muscle ache and rest.
Stay strong is worth it.
I'm currently on methadone and down to 32mg. A day. I'm pregnant right now so I can't taper down till after baby is born. But I'm very scared of the w/d that I will eventually have to go through when the time comes. So 1st of all I'am so proud of u for getting off the methadone. I hear its very hard and terrible to go through. The only thing I can say is talk to your doctor at methadone clinic (I'm guessing you went to clinic) and tell him what your feeling. I know the last thing u want to do is start the cycle over again, but I would think there has to be something to help u get through this. Call yr doc. Today and talk to him asap. My doc. Said if I ever felt the way u do that they would bump me up to 2mg. And take it very slow till u are ready. Good luck to you and I'm here if u need any support..message me anytime. ~gtowngirl~
I was on 115mg daily for 3yrs i tapered down 9mgs a week felt ok till I hit 19mgs an 10 mgs for a few days I took my last dose of 10 on the 27th at 1:00 am so my question is why haven't I felt little to none w/d yet or did I get off easy 2nd time on methadone first was in 03. I'm so glad to get the liquid cuffs off.

liked to died then.Im so glad to get the cuffs
I.was just wondering why you can't taper down DURING pregnancy? It would seem logical to me that as long as you were comfortable,your baby would be as well. Not a doctor by a long shot so I was just wondering. And I wish you and your baby the very best of luck. I'm happy to hear you are getting clean so you can.be the best mommy possible. PLEASE keep it up!