Addiction Expert Forum
percoet addiction and pregnant

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

percoet addiction and pregnant

Hi i am about 7 weeks pregnant and have been taking percoet for about 3 years now. i want to quit. if i see a Dr to help what should i expect? Will i be treated poorly because i am an addict? I tried to quit today and made it about 15 hours before i gave in.. Cramping sneezing diarrhea cold sweats weak body. i am scared i will miscarry. How will they help me manage and quit safely? Thank you!
You should get in touch with your OB/midwife and get them involved in this situation. Abrupt withdrawal will be very unpleasant to you, but it could be damaging to your pregnancy. If you taper opiates now and are clean by the 20th week, both you and the baby will be completely drug free by the time of delivery.  Tapering means slowly cutting the dose by a quarter or a half a pill a day every several days, as well as extending the periods between the doses.  Unfortunately, anything you have taken after the 20th week of the pregnancy will show up should they test the meconium. Typically, if they see a cooperative, well kempt, clear headed, concerned and honest woman who is not trying to hide anything, the state is not hungry to separate newborns from moms. It all depends on your circumstances and your caregivers.
If you have been getting good, regular pre-natal care and have good relationship with your OB or midwife, they should be able to smooth thing over in the hospital.
The baby should be just fine provided you taper use gently under doctor's supervision and continue to take good care of yourself. Please read my blog on Pregnancy and Addiction by clicking on my name and then blogs, it will give you some food for thought. Good luck to you and your babe.
Would my Dr still try to taper me off even though i have been taking the pills without a perscription?
Just curious, how are you taking meds without a prescription? That would be impossible around these parts. I am w/d's now. Not pleasant, but managing with the help of other meds. Did a lot of research!