Addiction Expert Forum
pregnancy and heroin use

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

pregnancy and heroin use

Hi I have a friend who is 8 months pregnant and does not want to lose her baby when she delivers. She is addicted to heroin and doesn't want to use it any more.  She finally got some suboxen and has started taking them.  My question is will the baby be ok when she is born? How long will it take for all heroin to leave both ba by and momz system if she has been using almost whole pregnancy.  Thanks.
Suboxone is a much safer drug for pregnancy then heroin. She can certainly deliver and nurse while taking it. Her OB/midwife must be involved in this process without any questions.  They will find out one way or another. Every state has different regulation and it may vary from hospital to hospital. It can also depend on your friend's OB/midwife. What they do can very much depend on your friend herself, if she got regular and early prenatal care, was cooperative and followed all her instructions; if she presented herself as a caring and cared for mother to be, then there may not be any reason for them to test her. However if she or those around her send out warning signals with their presentation, dress or behavior, her health provider can very well test her baby's meconium (poop) without her consent. They can not test her without her express consent and knowledge.
You should be aware that baby's meconium will show every drug the pregnant woman have used from the 20th week of pregnancy.
But she should relax, they do not just take babies away from their mothers unless there are major indicators for doing so. If she behaves in a measured, reasonable manner, dresses appropriately, shows that she is taking care of herself, thus of the baby, I'm sure it will be fine.
Please read and have her read my blog on pregnancy and addiction by clicking on my name in blue and than "blogs". Good luck to her.