Addiction Expert Forum
pregnancy on methadone

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

pregnancy on methadone

if there is anyone who has been pregnant and on methadone does your baby have any medical conditions.or disabilities from it .or anything .like if u were on 50mg or less durn your pregnancy.
I feel very strongly that methadone is not the best choice for drug treatment during pregnancy. I am sure you want what is best for your baby and so do I. Methadone is an opiate, very long acting one and very addictive. You are still opiate dependent and if you continue to be on methadone through your pregnancy, your child will also be born opiate dependent. Your baby will be in withdrawals after birth and will have be spend time in the Neonatal ICU to go through those withdrawal. If you choose to nurse your baby while you are still on methadone, there have been documented cases of babies dieing due to respiratory suppression (they stop breathing).
You need to get your OB/GYN involved in this and if s/he is not familiar with this process, find one who is. You should not be on methadone during pregnancy. The standard of care for pregnant addicted women is Suboxone or Subutex taper, even though maintenance Suboxone or Subutex is still considered safer than methadone because of much less risk of the respiratory suppression.
Please get a second opinion   before you get yourself and your baby into a whole lot of trouble.  Your baby deserves to be in your loving arms, being nursed at your breast right after it is born, not being for days or weeks in the NICU, not able to go home with you.
Good luck and stay safe.
My dr said it doesnt cause that just possibility of withdrawls in 60-90% of babie and it is not dose dependant , do the offs of baby getting withdrawls or severity of the withdrawls is not related to how much ur on  , you are on it pregnant babie has same chances no matter ur dose be it 10 or 200  cuz im on 25 ( 20 before preg , went back up to not stress my body n baby cuz i was in middle of taper)  i was hoping my baby would be less likley , i feel like a bag of **** i didnt make it off before i got pregnant , but i have never herd of diabetes ever being an issue n i ask a lot of questions and google a lot! but who knows, the only thing reported are sonetimes low birth weight andbehavior problems possibly in future aside from withdrawl (withdrawal) that could occur but i am not dr i only go by what im told n have read
I am on dilidid and I can't stop I am 15 weeks pregnant and I was wondering if you know anyone who has taking this during the  entire pregnancy and if so was it as bad for the baby as methadone  withdraw or morphine withdraw is and i ask cause my dr wants me to go off the dilidid and onto methadone but I only take between 4-8 mg of dilidid a day and my bf is on methadone and I See what it does to him and I feel taking (methadone) that would a  put more synthetic opiates into my body as I feel 4 -8mg a day is not worth going in methadone for. Anyone??