Addiction Expert Forum
severe alcoholism

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

severe alcoholism

My daughter  who is an alcoholic has been drinking for 35 years.  She has been in many treatment centers only to return to drinking she gets out.  She lives with me and is unable to get a job.  What is the last resort?
There is a new FDA approved treatment now and most insurances cover it. It is an injection called Vivitrol.  I highly recommend that you look into it. It works for a full month and can be repeated as many times as needed.  It will take away your daughter's drive to drink as well as make her feel unwell and not drunk if she does choose to take a drink.  Good luck to you, it is an awful affliction and invariably leads to tragic result if not treated, but there is hope now.