Addiction Expert Forum
smoking

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

smoking

Ok! So i just found out im pregnant! And this is not the first! But with my first child, I DID NOT SMOKE AT ALL! But when i had him, i pick back up! Now that i found out, i seem to not quite!?? I dont want nothing to happen to my second child, so what is abest way to stop!!??

I understand that smoking is extremely addictive, but there are certain things we do for our kid that are very hard, and one of them is being pregnant, taking care of our bodies while pregnant and nursing (and I am not even talking about giving birth!). That is only the start of a difficult life of a parent. So, let me give you the facts that you probably already know, but they are important to repeat.
Smoking while pregnant will:
Lower the amount of oxygen and nutrient available your growing baby.
Increase your baby's heart rate.
Increase the chances of miscarriage and stillbirth.
Increase the risk that your baby is born prematurely and/or born with low birth weight.
Increase your baby's risk of developing respiratory (lung) problems.
You want to eat right and stay away from all unneeded drugs and alcohol while you are pregnant and nursing or mothering young children. Please take good care of yourself and that way you can be sure you are taking the best care of your child.