Addiction Expert Forum
smoking cigarettes

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

smoking cigarettes

I smoke cigarettes and I'm 10 weeks pregnant. I've cut down from a pack to 7 or less cigarettes a day. I need to know if there has been any possible problems I need to worry about, or if its okay to smoke during pregnant as long as I'm not over doing it.
There is no safe amount of smoking you can do if you are pregnant.
Smoking during pregnancy affects your health as well as the health of the baby both before and after its birth.The nicotine, carbon monoxide, and many other poisons  from a cigarette are carried from your lungs into your bloodstream and go directly to your baby. Smoking while pregnant will:
Lower the amount of oxygen and nutrient available your growing baby.
Increase your baby's heart rate.
Increase the chances of miscarriage and stillbirth.
Increase the risk that your baby is born prematurely and/or born with low birth weight.
Increase your baby's risk of developing respiratory (lung) problems.

The more cigarettes you smoke per day, the greater your baby's chances of developing these and other health problems. As I said before, there is no "safe" level of smoking while pregnant.
You want to eat right and stay away from all unneeded drugs and alcohol while you are pregnant and nursing or mothering young children. Please take good care of yourself and that way you can be sure you are taking the best care of your child
I smoked 2 packs a day for about 3 years. I found out I was pregnant when I was 5 weeks at 6 weeks I got a cold a severe morning sickness and I just completely cold turkeyed stopped when I was sick I felt fine I'm 9 weeks now and I still haven't smoked. It's mind over matter that will help you. Me thinking about my baby made me stop.
If you're really having that hard of a time just talk to your doc.
Good luck.