Addiction Expert Forum
suboxone n sedation

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

suboxone n sedation

I have been on opiates for 8 years the last three on methadone. (unprescribed) I started the methadone clinic October 2012 at 25mg per day. February I started suboxone at 1 and a half strips per day (12mg).I am doing ok with the suboxone but I have hep c and want to start treatment.  I did 48 weeks tx in 2009, it was horrible and it failed. My gastro dr is requesting tests that require sedation. I am starting tests again but I am wondering how suboxone works with sedation. I don't want to tell my gastro dr. because I am so afraid of withdrawal. I know sometimes dr's don't understand how bad withdrawal can be especially when  you have a career that can be jeapordized when you are unable to work. Will I have to stop the suboxone? for sedation? or treatment? Is suboxone hard on your liver? I try to be honest with my dr but when I have tried to quit opiates on my own before it was miserable and i wasn't able to take care of my family and work. Please help with any information or suggestions.
You should not be ashamed of being in treatment. Your doctor should absolutely know that you are on Suboxone. During the procedures you will respond normally to benzodiazepines such as Versed, but should not get any Fentanyl as it will not mix well with the Suboxone unless you stop taking the Suboxone about 36 to 48 hours prior to the procedure.
As to how Suboxone affects your liver, the best person to talk to would be your GI doctor, because only he knows the state of function of your particular liver. Good luck to you.