Addiction Expert Forum
subutex & surgery
About This Forum:

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

subutex & surgery

I have an incurable, but not fatal, rare bone disease that causes constant severe bone & muscle pain, plus spinal myoclonus, & progressive degenerative C 5,6 disc Dz, migraines, daily HA's.  I've been maintained on oxycontin for several years & have never abused my meds.  My Dr retired and my new Dr wants to switch me to subutex.  My concern is what happens if I fracture a bone or need an angioplasty or some other emergency type of surgery as I will most likely be on subutex for the rest of my life?  My understanding is subutex blocks the analgesic effects of analgesics & anesthesia.
Tags: subutex
Related Discussions
1684282_tn?1410976195
Let me give you some info about Subutex, so you are not so worried about future opiate needs. Subutex is the brand name of buprenorphine. Buprenorphine is a thebaine derivative with powerful analgesia approximately 20-40x more potent than morphine. Buprenorphine is a partial agonist and antagonist of the opioid receptors in the central nervous system which means that when its molecule binds to a receptor, it will transduce only a partial response in contrast to a full agonist such as morphine.
So to simplify,  it will not block other opiates, like morphine, just compete with them. Your physicians, should you need surgery or other invasive procedures, will need to give you higher doses of opiates then other patients, to override that competition.
I hope this was helpful.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
1684282_tn?1410976195
Julia M Aharonov, DOBlank
MDS Rapid Drug Detox
Southfield, MI
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker