Addiction Expert Forum
subutex

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

subutex

i have been on subutex 8 mg for 1 yr and am going to have surgery on mon. what are the complications. I am concerned my anestesia will not work. I took half today and will not take it tomorrow . what are the complications with surgery.
My first concern is why you have been on Subutex for a full year a have not beer tapering it down? Are you on it for chronic pain or for addiction treatment?
It is very wise of you to taper it off prior to surgery since buprenorphine has high affinity to the opioid receptors than any of the narcotic they will be giving you for the operative pain control. However it is only a partial agonist so it transmits only part of the analgesic message to the brain, thus  it may actually block the narcotics the anesthesia team will use peri-operatively from fully functioning.
But I am sure they will be able to give you enough of the medication to keep you comfortable, you just have to tell them about the Subutex in pre-op evaluation.
Good luck with you surgery and please think about quitting drugs all together after you are well.  You can read my blogs by clicking on my name or check out my clinic's web site.