Addiction Expert Forum
subutex
About This Forum:

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

subutex

i have been on subutex 8 mg for 1 yr and am going to have surgery on mon. what are the complications. I am concerned my anestesia will not work. I took half today and will not take it tomorrow . what are the complications with surgery.
Related Discussions
1684282_tn?1410976195
My first concern is why you have been on Subutex for a full year a have not beer tapering it down? Are you on it for chronic pain or for addiction treatment?
It is very wise of you to taper it off prior to surgery since buprenorphine has high affinity to the opioid receptors than any of the narcotic they will be giving you for the operative pain control. However it is only a partial agonist so it transmits only part of the analgesic message to the brain, thus  it may actually block the narcotics the anesthesia team will use peri-operatively from fully functioning.
But I am sure they will be able to give you enough of the medication to keep you comfortable, you just have to tell them about the Subutex in pre-op evaluation.
Good luck with you surgery and please think about quitting drugs all together after you are well.  You can read my blogs by clicking on my name or check out my clinic's web site.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
1684282_tn?1410976195
Julia M Aharonov, DOBlank
MDS Rapid Drug Detox
Southfield, MI
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now