Addiction Expert Forum
taking pain meds

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

taking pain meds

Thus is my first pregnancy and I have Crones, I take tramadol and perk 5s sometimes, I am 9 weeks pregnant and have been taking them my whole pregnancy, people say that my baby is going to have a whole bunch of problems, is this true? Will my baby really be all messed up from the pain meds? Someone please help me :(
Sincerely,
A very scared first time mommy
You are still early in your pregnancy, so you have plenty of time to figure out what is best for the both of you. Obviously, since you have real underlying physical problem that necessitates some pain control, you need to address this with your GI and your OB/GYN as soon as possible. Thankfully,  diseases such as Crohn's often go into remission during pregnancy, making it possible for you to slowly taper the opiates. This will not hurt the baby and will allow you to deliver and bond with your bundle of joy without the opiate's interference. It will also allow you to nurse the baby safely.
If you find it impossible to get off the tramadol and Percs than it might be better to be referred to a physician who is able to manage you on a low dose of Subutex, that has been found to be safer in pregnancy, even though also quite addictive.
All of this needs to be discussed with both your GI and OB and if your OB is not familiar with pain management in pregnancy ask to be referred to someone who is.
This is one lucky child, to have such a dedicated and concerned parent. Good luck to you and have a healthy and happy pregnancy and motherhood. Feel free to come back here if you have any more questions.