Addiction Expert Forum
tramadol

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

tramadol

side effects of tramadol ? I do experience: lots sweatings, I"m very angry, nervous, unhappy,..etc  always like this unless I take at least 1/day, then I'm normal in a good or "ok" mood!! What should I do
What is happening to you is a daily withdrawal from tramadol. Even though Tramadol is not considered a true narcotic medication and is relatively easily prescribed for pain by some physicians, it is as you have found out quite addictive and difficult to quit. As you already know, it usually takes several weeks of the really nasty symptoms of acute withdrawal, followed by several months of just insomnia and general weakness and depression. A physician may be able to prescribe you some Neurontin (gabapentin) for general malaise, anxiety and muscle cramps, Requip for the restless leg syndrome and possibly something like Seroquel low dose for the insomnia.
The reason for this longer depression and insomnia symptoms is because Tramadol, besides affecting the opioid receptors, has an effect on the serotonin receptors in the central nervous system.   That means you may also need an SSRI antidepressant to deal with some depression that may develop as the result of your withdrawal. But it does get better and better every day if you stick with it, so please don’t give up.  I encourage you to look at my blog on Tramadol misuse for more info  by clicking on my name and than "blogs", and please make sure you read the readers' comments to the blog. They are fascinating. You may  also be interested in taking a look at my clinic’s website, www.mdsdrugdetox.com since we often detox patients with Tramadol addictions.
Once you get through the rest of withdrawals, the only thing you should keep in mind is as people start to feel really good after a few months out; they forget how bad the withdrawal really was and think they can start using again.  Just once or twice....  and they get caught up yet again.  Please try to remember how bad it is right now and stay far away from all drugs in the future.  It is just not worth it.
Good luck to you and stay well.
thank you so much.