Addiction Expert Forum
what is causing the excessive mucous and saliva buildup in my mouth fro...

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

what is causing the excessive mucous and saliva buildup in my mouth from my nasal cavity and throat

I have recently taken my self off the prescription narcotic fentanyl and percocet. I was on for over 10 years.  It is going on three weeks since I have been off the medicine.  Now I have excessive mucous buildup in my nasal cavity going towards my throat my mouth constantly fills up with mucous and saliva.  I go throug 3 - 4 rolls of paper towels per day just to catch it.  Is this part of the withdrawl (withdrawal).  I know that narcoctics tend to bind the fluids in you body.  so I'm wondering if my body is just purging or is something else wrong.  If it is withdrawl (withdrawal), how much longer?
It isn't really 'purging';  it is just the body adjusting to changes in autonomic tone as the narcotic receptors slowly return to normal.  Everyone has a slightly different withdrawal experience;  so far I would say to count yourself lucky.  By now you might be having a more miserable experience.

Opiate withdrawal takes from one to two months, for the most part. Methadone withdrawal is particularly lengthy, lasting for several months-- even six months after high dose discontinuation.  

I would consider taking guaifenesin-- it breaks up mucous so that it is runny like water.  You can take it with a prescription, or get it in robitussin expectorant.  DON'T use the 'DM' or other forms-- they have other potentially psycho-active compounds.  Just get the expectorant, and drink lots and lots of water.
A related discussion, methadone detox was started.