Addiction Expert Forum
what will happen

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

what will happen

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and could not stop using opiets for about 5 months of my pregnancy. I'm completely done with them now but I want to know if my baby is going to be okay and look okay . I haven't told my doctor... but I go to all appointment and she said he is doing fine but I don't want him taken away from me if they find it his bowel movements.. is there any way to make sure he is 109% healthy and make sure he won't get taken? I know I will be a great mom and I'm NEVER doing that again he means the world to me he is my miracle baby.
Unfortunately, anything you have taken after the 20th week of the pregnancy will show up should they test the meconium. Typically, if the see a cooperative, well kempt, clear headed, concerned and honest woman who is not trying to hide anything, the state is not hungry to separate newborns from moms. It all depends on your circumstances and your caregivers.
If you have been getting good, regular pre-natal care as you said, and have good relationship with your OB or midwife, they should be able to smooth thing over in the hospital.
I do think that the baby should be just fine provided you do not use anymore and continue to take good care of yourself. Please read my blog on Pregnancy and Addiction by clicking on my name and then blogs, it will give you some food for thought. My own feeling is that you will both do very well and you will be a terrific mom. Good luck to you and your babe.
Let me know how it goes?