Addiction Expert Forum
will cps rake my baby for dirty tests

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

will cps rake my baby for dirty tests

I am big polar and on methadone maintenance while pregnant with my first child. My counselor really started making me feel bad about my mood stabilizer and the baby so I tried to go off of it. I relapsed and had 2 dirty tests at the methadone clinic at 27 weeks. I feel so awful and have been beating myself up about this. I literly cxabt sleep at.  night. I keep hearing different things.. that youare OK if you and your baby is  clean at the time.e of delivery but I was just on here and I read that in the babies stool they can see drugs used in the mother from 20 weeks on. I'm terrifified cps will step in and take my baby. My fiancée and I are trying so hard to change our lives and at first I was scared to have this baby, the closer it comes to my delivery date the more I can fee we are doing the best thing possible bringing this baby girk into our lives. I know I made a bad decision anve made plenty but I love this little baby and when I am stable on my big polar

I feel very strongly that methadone is not the best choice for drug treatment during pregnancy. I am sure you want what is best for your baby and so do I. Methadone is an opiate, very long acting one and very addictive. You are still opiate dependent and if you continue to be on methadone through your pregnancy, your child will also be born opiate dependent. Your baby will be in withdrawals after birth and will have be spend time in the Neonatal ICU to go through those withdrawal. If you choose to nurse your baby while you are still on methadone, there have been documented cases of babies dieing due to respiratory suppression (they stop breathing).
You need to get your OB/GYN involved in this and if s/he is not familiar with this process, find one who is. You should not be on methadone during pregnancy. The standard of care for pregnant addicted women is Suboxone or Subutex taper, even though maintenance Suboxone or Subutex is still considered safer than methadone because of much less risk of the respiratory suppression.
As to the CPS, every state has different regulation and it may vary from hospital to hospital. It can also depend on your OB/midwife. What they tell you can very much depend on you, if you got regular and early prenatal care, very cooperative and followed all their instructions; if you present yourself as a caring and cared for mother to be, then there may not be any reason for them to test you. However if you or those around you send out warning signals with their presentation, dress or behavior, your health provider can very well test your baby's meconium (poop) without your consent. They can not test you without your express consent and knowledge.
You should be aware that your baby's meconium will show every drug you have used from the 20th week of pregnancy.
But you  should relax, they do not just take babies away from their mothers unless you give other major indicators for doing so. Behave in a measured, reasonable manner, dress appropriately, show that you are taking care of yourself, thus of the baby, I'm sure it will be fine. It seems that you have developed good rapport with the doctor and talk to him regularly and openly. You should always be honest. Trust me they have heard it all.
Please get a second opinion   before you get yourself and your baby into a whole lot of trouble.  Your baby deserves to be in your loving arms, being nursed at your breast right after it is born, not being for days or weeks in the NICU, not able to go home with you.
Good luck and stay safe.
.
This site keeps cutting me off and phone keeps auto correct:ng bi polar meds to say big. Sorry. To fi ish my post does anyone know if the methadone clinic will give my dirty test results to my obgyn or call cps??? I'm do scarred. There's nothing I can do at this point is accept the consequences of my actions, know that their is a reason if god decides that my baby is supposed to be placed in a foster home and start the battle over again of getting clean time built up to get her back.