Addison's Disease Community
Addison Crisis

Addison’s disease, also known as Adrenal Insufficiency or Hypocortisolism, is an endocrine disease that occurs when the adrenal glands do not produce enough of the hormone cortisol and sometimes, aldosterone. Discuss topics including symptoms and treatments for Addison’s disease.

Addison Crisis

I was dx'd with Addisons about 7 years ago and I am maintaining well on a daily dose of dexamethazone.  I am also hypoT and have been for 20 years, well maintained on synthroid and I'm tested every 3 months and adjust as needed.   Had some MAJOR medical events occur due to a reaction to the antibotic (antibiotic) Levaquin. (given for a possible sinus infection) .  Had classic allergic reaction, couldnt' breath, throat closing, tight painful chest.   Went to ER and checked over and released.  When I called m primary care phyisican I was told to double my dex for the next 4 days which I did and I was fine.  Then I had chest pains again, some very sharp .shortness of breath etc about 5 days later, and  ended up in ER, and again, run thru a battery of tests and no, its not my heart. Its fine, I'm a very healthy 5.8  135lb  45 year old woman. But I was stressed and my BP was up so they kept me over to run a nuclear stress test the next day AND gave me Nitro Glycercine.   Of course I was scared to death, thinking I had a clot or something in my heart  but finally by 3.30 the next day,  the scans showed nothing wrong.  I was FINALLY able to take my dex but I was 12 hours late. I took my normal amount.    I felt awful from the Nitro, had a screaming headache with nausea for two days, horrible neck and face pain  and it finally cleared up. Saw a  Cardio doctor 3 days later and they felt it was,Costochondritis, (inflammation of the chest wall)  and puts me on a very strong anti inflammatory med.  Worked great, chest pains gone but within 3 days BACK in the ER  again. grrrrr. Esophagus closing, couldn't even swallow water.  OMG!  Primary care dr sent me to the ER, was given a GI cocktail that relaxed the esophagus and the dr there felt it was a due to the anti inflammary drug with is notorious for this type of thing. Sent home with meds for that .    So,  I have had ALL THIS STRESS going to the hospital 3 x in 15 days.   I have not been in a hospital in 30 years !  I go to my primary care doctor once a year for a full check up and tests and have my thyroid levels checked every 3-4 months when needed.     Now, the last two times I went in the hospital I have come home and crashed, felt awful, pain everywhere, my back and my neck . I have minor arthritis issues, nothing new  but not this crushing pain.  It felt like someone was pulling all the tendons in my shoulders and up my neck to my face.  When I woke up at 1am after the third hospitall visit I could barely walk everything hurt so bad.  No amount of tylenol or advil would touch it,  I was given Tramadol it did nothing.   Finally I got better after 3 days.  When the same thing happened AGAIN after this third hospital visit I  stated to wonder.   Since I had NOT increased my steriods as I probably should have,  can this be what happens when one goes into an adrenal crisis.  I was trying to figure out what did differently  on the first hospital visit that I did not do on the 2nd and 3 rd.   This last time, it finally hit me and I took an extra steriod that afternoon and doubled it this morning and I'm feeling better though very stiff.  Went to the massage lady yesterday and I will see the chiro today, but could all this pain and stiffness and MUSCLE STIFFNESS be due to my NOT taking enough of dex ?     These last 15 days have been a livid nightmare ! any help would be appreciated
Uh, yeah, you should have increased your steroids.

Ideally, your doc should give you a supply of cortef  (get hydrocortisone - cheap) since dex is not a good emergency med - and you should have some pills and an emergency injection of solu-cortef and a IM needle in case you cannot keep pills down - plus get your doc to give you a script for zofran or phenergan so if you get nausea, you can nip things in the bud.

Do you have an emergency kit? There are some guidelines in the health pages that can help you (links under discussions).