Addison's Disease Community
Addisons and Blood Pressure
About This Community:

Addison’s disease, also known as Adrenal Insufficiency or Hypocortisolism, is an endocrine disease that occurs when the adrenal glands do not produce enough of the hormone cortisol and sometimes, aldosterone. Discuss topics including symptoms and treatments for Addison’s disease.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Addisons and Blood Pressure

How likely is it to have consistantly normal blood pressure, but still have [undiagnosed and untreated] Addison's?

Thanks so much
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
657231_tn?1390151580
It can happen but since low cortisol often equals low sodium - that impacts the blood pressure.

Some people have spikes - but usually there is a change.
Blank
Hi Rumblr:

Thank you for answering. Is the low blood pressure typically associated with Addison's a constant thing or is it only associated with standing up?

I have been having ongoing vertigo and some other symptoms since the end of August (although during my last menstrual flow, all symptoms seemed to cease). I have not had any weight loss or any noticable weakness. I work out 5 days a week and the symptoms haven't had any effect on it. My blood pressure has consistantly remained in the normal range, although I took it this morning sitting and it was normal, but when I stood up and took it, it had fallen some. I don't seem to have a noticable skin color change, my mother says I look exactly the same, but unfortunately right now to me anything is going to look out of the ordinary. I am concerned about the vertigo (I feel like I am on a rocking boat, standing or sitting), the mild lightheadness whenever I stand, palpitations (although my heart rate always seems to be normal whenever I have them), nausea, more intestinal problems than usual (constipation is a big problem for me, but lately I have been going more), and occasional cramps in the calf when I stretch out my legs. I do have very bad anxiety and I do understand that it could be contributing to this, especially considering how anxious I am over this. I didn't mean to ramble, but I'm currently waiting for the results of blood work and I am VERY anxious about ruling this out or not and I just needed to open up.

Thanks, Nikki
Blank
657231_tn?1390151580
The low BP on standing up is called POTS - postural orthostatic tachycardic syndrome or something like that..

That can cause vertigo and all...

See a cardiologist for a tilt table test.
Blank
My blood work came back all in normal range (don't know the exact numbers until I get a copy of my own). I only had CBC/metabolic/thyroid testing, so I am still feeling a little anxious over ruling this out.

rumblr- thanks for the information. I will look more into it
Blank
657231_tn?1390151580
POTS is a autonomic disorder - no blood test will show it!
Blank
Sorry- I meant about ruling out Addisons
Blank
657231_tn?1390151580
I understood that - it sounds like the addison's tests are in process but you may also have concurrent POTS - many do!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Addison's Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...