Addison's Disease Community
Addison's disease & Hypothyroid

Addison’s disease, also known as Adrenal Insufficiency or Hypocortisolism, is an endocrine disease that occurs when the adrenal glands do not produce enough of the hormone cortisol and sometimes, aldosterone. Discuss topics including symptoms and treatments for Addison’s disease.

Addison's disease & Hypothyroid

I have had Addison's disease for 30 years and am on 30 mg. of hydrocortisone and .1mg of florinef per day.   I was recently found to be hypothyroid too and am on a starting dose of synthroid of .50 mg. per day.  I know that you are supposed to take the synthroid in the morning on an empty stomach but I have always taken my first dose of hydrocortisone (20mg.) the very first thing every morning.  Is it ok to take the synthroid with the hydrocortisone?  I have read that hydrocortisone has an effect on the conversion of t4 to t3.
Tags: conversion, dose, florinef, food, Hope, sleep, steroid, steroids, Synthroid, years, s, hypothyroid, thyroid, treatment, Addison, addisons disease
-3 Comments Post a Comment
You are always safe to take your synthroid medication an hour away from any food or other midcations. I am on 300mcg of Synthroid and I have been on steroids here lately. I take the Synthroid at 7am and then at about 9 I eat and take the steroid. I hope that this helps!
My doc said it is fine to take together . .  I take mine at 6am then go back to sleep wake up 7:30 and take more supplements and food.
i have had  addison amd thyriod for 16 yrs and i take mine together,but my hydrocortisone intake is higher i take 60daily when i started out i took the 30mg daily. i neveer knew that there was a message board for us
I have had addison's with Schmidt's for 9 years and have been on prednisone 5mg and .5 of florinef.  I've done pretty well with the usual ups and downs-  tired anyone!!?? but getting along.  Saw a new endo recently and he switched me to hydrocortisone 15 mg in the am and 7.5 at 4.  Been on it for 3 days and feeling definitely foggy minded and sort of off balance.  Has anyone else made this switch and how did it go?  Call my endo and he said 'Must be something else,  See your general or a neurologist."  Hmmm... Is it just me or do the endocrinologists not seem to really get Addison's?  I am sure it has to do with the switch- maybe I'm not taking enough.  I am 46 with 3 teenagers and a job..  pretty busy.  Anyone have any ideas?
You went from a long acting corticosteroid to a short acting one - and the transition is not an easy one. Pred can last more than a day while HC lasts only a few hours. HC is preferred as the side effects are less and the body can rest at night to make bone, muscle etc.

However, your body is used to all that cortisol and the stacked doses of pred so it is not happy with less so it is going through a wean period and weaning hurts, as well as impacts everything.

Your endo does not get it. Your new dose is pretty normal and is roughly equal to the old dose - it should be ok after a few days or you may need help in the form of salt or florinef - if you have low BP.
Hello Britt

I have Addison and take hydrocortisone but take 20mg in morning and at 230pm or 3pm take 15mg. Hydrocortisone is not as strong as predisone. Plus, it is fast acting. If you switched from predisone you may need little more. I would switch doctors and not suffer. I have had to learn alot on my own because I have found that even Endo do not really know how to properly treat Addison. My doc lets me experiment according to my symptoms but I use to be in the medical field so maybe that is why she allows it.

I think most people I have chatted with that have true Addison's disease need at least 25mg... Sometimes 30. We are all different. Also, depends on if you take florinef too. I hope this helps.

Nikki