Addison's Disease Community
Addisons for 15 years

Addison’s disease, also known as Adrenal Insufficiency or Hypocortisolism, is an endocrine disease that occurs when the adrenal glands do not produce enough of the hormone cortisol and sometimes, aldosterone. Discuss topics including symptoms and treatments for Addison’s disease.

Addisons for 15 years

Hi Everyone,

For the past couple of weeks, I've been feeling dizzy, fatigued, and generally stinky, and I'm not sure why. I've been tripling my medication and it's not helping.

Is there any sort of blood test I should get to make sure my levels are OK (i.e.; electrolytes, etc). I'm at a loss for why this is happening...
Yes, any type of infection can cause you to be more fatigued and your body, typically cannot fight off infections like a normal body.

I would go see a doc - sodium and potassium should be checked as well as do you get regular check ups of ACTH, cortisol and other hormones?

Do you take florinef? Salt? Salt tabs may help prevent a crisis (low sodium is the cause of a crisis and infection can cause the sodium to dip). Make sure you keep up fluids as well. Do you have an emergency kit and a medic alert bracelet as well?
Hi rumpled,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I actually just went this morning to get blood work done -- they did CBC with differential, Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (which I'm certain looks at sodium and potassium), as well as Renin level, and something to check my thyroid. Hopefully that looks at ACTH and cortisol. I told him how I've been feeling so hopefully he ordered the right stuff.

I do take florinef -- 0.1 in the am and 0.05 in the pm. I've been drinking powerades like crazy and I also have shots in case I have a crisis.

I'm leaving the county on Friday for 8 days so I just want to feel better so I can enjoy my trip. Typically, I have SO much energy -- more than most people-- so to feel so legathic and dizzy and stinky is worrisome and no fun!

The only thing that I can think of that would make me suddenly feel this way, is the recent onslaught of vaginal infections, which I mostly have under control now. Otherwise, maybe there is something else wrong with me.
Some docs do not like the powerades. There are a couple of reasons. The high sugar content is not good. The other is that when people with addison's - the typical person - is sick, sodium drops and potassium spikes. Those drinks have a lot of potassium and the last thing you need to add is potassium. Sugar is a really bad thing to add when you have a yeast infection - so that will work against you for that. Now, some of us drop in Na and K when we are low and need both - but I typically go for V-8 or the like -tomato juice, pickles or salt tablets that will help lift salt and potassium. But you have to know if your potassium is low before you start loading potassium.

I would drop the powerades and switch over to something less sugary or something with less potassium. The potassium may not be good for you. Your testing may give you a hint. I know from a crisis in a hospital what happens to me - so you have to know what your body does!