Addison's Disease Community
Addison's in traumatic coma
About This Community:

Addison’s disease, also known as Adrenal Insufficiency or Hypocortisolism, is an endocrine disease that occurs when the adrenal glands do not produce enough of the hormone cortisol and sometimes, aldosterone. Discuss topics including symptoms and treatments for Addison’s disease.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Addison's in traumatic coma

My 35 year old son has Addison's (as part of polyglandular syndrome), and had a blow to the head that caused immediate unconsciousness.  CT scan shows bruising of his brain, but not enough to seem to explain the depth of his coma.  His electrolyte levels are OK, so it isn't hyponatremic coma.  Could Addison's be a factor in his coma?  How important is it that I get his attending physician to consult an endocrinologist?
Tags: addisons, coma
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
657231_tn?1390151580
I would say critical.

I don't have adrenals. I land in the ER on a regular basis for one reason or other and they ALWAYS call in an endo.

We are not normal and they have to stress dose him. His 'lytes are okay with all the fluids they pumping in him, but he is likely going to need steroids to really pull up. We are not like normal.

GET THE ENDO.
Blank
657231_tn?1390151580
I carry a letter from my endo that says to call him (but not everyone does/will) and I have almost died a couple of times from it.

I also wear a medic alert bracelet and carry 100mg solu cortef.

It is rough, but a good emergency kit (cannot keep in car, heat will kill the meds) is really helpful - extra meds, needle, etc. can help head off a lot.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Addison's Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank