Addison's Disease Community
Blood Test for Addison's Disease
About This Community:

Addison’s disease, also known as Adrenal Insufficiency or Hypocortisolism, is an endocrine disease that occurs when the adrenal glands do not produce enough of the hormone cortisol and sometimes, aldosterone. Discuss topics including symptoms and treatments for Addison’s disease.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Blood Test for Addison's Disease

My husband has had a mystery disease for over 14 years.  He has high potassium, high blood pressure, very painful stomach cramps every day.  Lightheaded, dizzy. Been put in hospital lots of test but no one can find problem.

I stumbled across Addison's Disease and thought he had a lot of these symptoms.  I am also taking Phlebotomy and need to know the tube color for this test. Can not find this tube color.

What should we tell Dr. to make him order this test
Thank you
Debra
657231_tn?1390151580
Hello...
Addison's typically has LOW blood pressure - and low sodium. That being said, I am a layman but I would guess you are close, with the potassium issue he probably has an issue with the renin/aldosterone loop and might have hyperaldosteronism or a pheo.

I would ask for the following tests: Plasma Renin activity  (Lavender - frozen, a fussy, often done wrong test), Aldosterone serum (red top or lavender  - not as fussy) NOTE for both tests it is more accurate if you have not sat 30 minutes before the test and the test is taken while standing but few labs will do it that way.

Metanephrines, Pheochromocytoma Evaluation  (24 hour urine - keep it cold no matter what they say to you!).

The adrenals can raise BP... It could also be a cortisol issue but that is typically elevated cortisol - not low. There is no *one* test for elevated cortisol - you have to take multiple tests at 8am, fasting, and hope you get a decent doctor. I had it myself. ACTH (lavender, chilled - again, a fussy test as it must be spun right after draw then frozen right away), cortisol, serum ((red top) and 24 hour urine (usually preservative free).

Is your hubs over or underweight?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Addison's Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank