Addison's Disease Community
Can you take shots or the liquid cortisol only insted of pills?
About This Community:

Addison’s disease, also known as Adrenal Insufficiency or Hypocortisolism, is an endocrine disease that occurs when the adrenal glands do not produce enough of the hormone cortisol and sometimes, aldosterone. Discuss topics including symptoms and treatments for Addison’s disease.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can you take shots or the liquid cortisol only insted of pills?

I have a pill phobia and I choke on my pills every time I have to swallow one due to hesitation. Is there a way it sounds weird because like why would u wanna take shots or drink the nasty liquid every day but they are a lot easier for me. Thanks
:)
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
657231_tn?1390151580
Some, but not all, pills can be crushed and taken in say, applesauce. A pharmacist should be consulted as some long acting medications cannot be crushed as they will act differently and not in a good way. Some meds, like thyroid, need to be taken fasting, optimally so this is not a great option, but if you are consistent, at least you can adjust the dose for not taking it properly. You have to discuss that with your doctor as well.

Some meds are available in other formats. Cortisol though is an IM shot - AKA long needle to get into a muscle, not a sub-cu, short needle like diabetes.

You can also talk to your doctor about your swallowing issues. You may need some therapy (as in physical therapy) to help. It may also signal an issue - like myasthenia gravis. When my MG acts up, I cannot swallow and I choke, even on saliva.
Blank
3923358_tn?1358555814
Thanks you really help me alot on this fourum!:)
Blank
657231_tn?1390151580
No problem - let us know how you get help!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Addison's Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...