Addison's Disease Community
HELP is this Addisons? need advice....

Addison’s disease, also known as Adrenal Insufficiency or Hypocortisolism, is an endocrine disease that occurs when the adrenal glands do not produce enough of the hormone cortisol and sometimes, aldosterone. Discuss topics including symptoms and treatments for Addison’s disease.

HELP is this Addisons? need advice....

Hi I am 29 year old female with PCOS I have been on Metformin for a little over a year. Initially the metformin caused some hypoglycemia and I had to eat often and check my blood glucose. The Hypoglycemia lasted roughly about 3 months while I adjusted to the Metfromin and since have not had any issues. I started loosing weight at the end of February, begining of March. I like most with PCOS had an extremely difficult time loosing weight for years and I had my weight checked at my routine Endo. appt. on February 22nd I weighed 186. Starting in March I began having swollen lymph nodes in my neck (worst in the back of my neck) and severe fatigue the Dr. told me it was mono (which I have already had before in highschool) and to rest and I would feel better in a few weeks. I have had a major amount of symptoms that have gotten worse and worse with a drastic loss in weight without doing a single work out, I am too tired to exercise anyway. I am currently weighing in at 143lbs and began getting very sick last week. Shaking, dibilitating nausea, Complete lack or drive to eat anything, low drops in heart rate wear my heart feels weird as it beats ( in the 60s), Severe diareah, headaches and I am still expierencing neck swelling, pain and back ache. I went into my GP last friday who decided to check my blood suagr and it was 61. This was most concerning cause I drank a 20 oz Orange juice about an hour before the appointment. He felt like my metformin was causing a random hypoglycemic reaction out of the blue? He also felt like my thyroid was enlarged and my neck appeared swollen. He ordered some blood work and another ultrsound of my thyroid ( my last one a year ago said slightly enlarged 1 yr ago with a small nodule, they planned on just watching it every 6 mo) my thyroid bloodwork came normal. I told him of all the symptoms and he suggested I make an appointment with my endo. quick. He pulled me off of my metformin for 3 days and there was no change in symptoms he also had me eat every two hours and check my blood glucose every two hours. I am having significant drops within two hours after eating anything at all. the symptoms are just getting worse. My endo said he thinks something is wrong with my adrenal gland? He said it sounds like this "reactive hypoglycemia" is caused by a possible case of addisons. I did a 24 hour urine test yesterday and turned it in today along with like 12 viles of bloodwork requested by my endo so I wont have labs for a cpl days. I should get my thyroid ultrasound back today or tomorrow. They said it has grown since last year and the radiologist is comparing the size difference I also have multiple new cysts growing on my thyroid but again bloodwork is normal??? As soon as I get all my new labs and urin study I will post them as well should be in the next couple days... I am hoping someone can tell me whats going on I have never felt so terrible and i am scared about how low I am dropping in blood glucose... Thanks in advance!!

Symptoms
extreme weightloss with out any exersize
SEVERE nausea
Severe fatigue
throat swelling and pain (mainly the back of the neck)
Headaches
back pain
diareah
EXTREME lack of desire to eat, not hungry at all (but I am forcing myself too every 2 hours)
attack of reactive hypoglcemia
Low heart rate(when glucose is low it is in the 60's) or rapid speeding heart rate ( when my glucose is above 90)
My fasting glucose has been around 70 once I eat ( anything) it goes up to 104 at the mos,t and then within 2 hours from eating it is in the 40s and I feel violently ill and super dizzy....

Lost need any answers I have never had diabetes or anything like that!

Did you get a copy of your blood tests from the GP - as well as sugar issues, the biggest clue rests in sodium and potassium for the adrenals. Often one gets a tan (not always though). Do you find that salty foods help you at all? Do you crave salt at all? Sodium is the crux of the issue for Addison's - so your issue may be thyroid only (like a grave's issue, or toxic thyroid, etc) so the tests are going to have to determine the heart of your issue.
Endocrine issues can overlap - and it can be tricky to determine the issue - it can go up to the pituitary as well (I know mine did!) so get copies of everything and read up.
It may take several sets of testing. Diabetes may be a common endocrine disorder but there are a lot of others out there - sadly the docs know how to treat diabetes (the sugar form) but the rest... it pays to be on top of what is going on with testing and make sure you know.
Sorry about the delayed response I have been so sick I can't do much. The hypoglycemia has been bad having lows as low as 37 and as high as 389. My freaking labs are still pending the doctor said no matter what he will have them tomorrow. I know the only test he has back is my fasting insulin which showed no detectable insulin. my first fasting glucose was 72 but I am not sure what the new one is. I have so many other symptoms that they are looking at everything that could possibly be causing the reactive hypoglycemia and other symptoms so Hopefully I will update tomorrow. Thanks for the reply I am struggling finding anything online that is similar to what I am experiencing... Thanks!!
ok I have a few more tests back but still waiting on a ton more. My nuetrophil is high at 68%  (36-66) and my glucose is high at 102 (65-99) My ALT is elevated at 58 (9-52), and the fasting insulin being non detectable. I feel like crap too. :)
The neutrophils is part of the CBC and not sure that alone will be taken as an issue.

I am not good with glucose issues - there should be a diabetes forum here
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Diabetes---Adult-Type-II/show/46
and they may be able to help you more (I have every endocrine disease but that one... so clueless on diabetes - sorry!).

ALT has to do with the liver - If you look in the health pages, I have a link to a site that goes over lab tests and it can help explain the results you have. None of the tests you have given right now are about the adrenals.
ok really long delay.... I have alot of my blood work back, Doctor is now thinking i have a pheochromocytoma?? I had high metraphines in my 24 hr urine, I also have elevated A/G Ratio, below normal Gubulin, Elevated Androstein? and my CT scan showed, hemanginoma on the liver and Cysts in the ovaries( PCOS) but no adrenal mass. The doctor said the test I needed was the MIBG scan and he ran more blood work which we are waiting for I also did another 24 hr urine cause the doctor said there was more that he wanted to see that he didnt order on the first one...I see the Dr a week from today to get the rest the blood work out and schedule the MIBG scan... any advice? I am still really sick!
Diebetes forum I think would be hard to get advice since I am not diebetic (diabetic). The doctor said the reactive hypoglcemia is being cause by something else so most diebetic (diabetic) info is not useful for me. I am taking Januvia now and it is maintaining the sugar but I am hoping it will be temporary till they can figure me out?
I would hope that your doc does not take the adrenal scan for 100% - I had my adrenals removed and the day before surgery my scan showed my adrenals were *normal* but pathology showed them to be 2-3x normal size... this has happened to many people that I know. I even had scans post op where they read as normal too - so I don't really buy the scans too much.

Do more of the blood and urine work - those will really show the nasty little thing and the surgeon will know if it is really there or not.

I just suggested the diabetes forum as I am no good with glucose issues - so they may have more guidance even if you are not diabetic.

I hope you can get figured out soon. Keep us posted.