Addison's Disease Community
Is it addisons?

Addison’s disease, also known as Adrenal Insufficiency or Hypocortisolism, is an endocrine disease that occurs when the adrenal glands do not produce enough of the hormone cortisol and sometimes, aldosterone. Discuss topics including symptoms and treatments for Addison’s disease.

Is it addisons?

Hi everyone. Okay so here's the deal I'm having chronic nausea and vomiting that has gone on for years I'm sick of it! Also when I get up quick i get dizzy spells and almost faint. My salt cravings are so severe i will be drooling randomly. Also I can't even get out of bed I'm so tired even if I get 10-12 hours of sleep ill be falling asleep in class. I'm also getting like these white patches on me(I'm mixed) and i don't know why.:( does anyone have any tips? Please thanks
It is certainly sounding like you have a case for testing so have you seem a doctor to get tested?
I have seen a doctor they sent me to a gastroenterologist thy have found nothing wrong. I also haven't had a period in 6 months! So I know something hormonal is messed up. My mom keeps telling me its not hormonal but has done no research at all so she dosent believe me that hormones can cause nausea, etc. thanks for replying!:)
Hormones for sure can cause nausea... sadly.

There are some links in the health pages under the adrenal insufficiency that you can show her if you like. Some are medical sites.

Do you have a PCP that you can show information so they can at least test for low sodium? That would give them a clue to dire things.
Hi thanks yea i do but I've never brought it up, I'm too scared they'll think I'm crazy!:(
The low sodium issue can potentially be deadly... so I would not be so afraid and really look into getting tested and get replacements if you need them.

You have to find out of the issue is cortisol or aldosterone. You need a endo that knows what he or she is doing.
Yea. I don't know how to get in contact with him if its not through my mom and she won't do it for me. Everyone thinks its gastrointestinal but they've done every test and they were negative. The only hormone test that was done was my thyroid and that was fine.
Were you even properly tested for thyroid - as in more than TSH and T4? If you just got that *panel* then you did not even get basic testing.

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Adrenal-Insufficiency/Signs-of-Adrenal-Crisis/show/1236?cid=221 shows nausea as a sign

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Adrenal-Insufficiency/What-is-an-Adrenal-Crisis---NADF/show/1270?cid=221 mentions GI symptoms

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Adrenal-Insufficiency/Addisons-Disease-Facts-by-NADF/show/1268?cid=221 outline of the disease
No they just did one of those not sure exactly though. Thanks for the links too ill check those out!:)
Always try to get copies - you are entitled in most states (not sure the age though).

One or both means your testing was deficient. TSH is a pituitary test. So the doctor just tested what the pituitary was telling the thyroid, not what the actual thyroid was doing.

T4 (plain) is not as useful - here is an explanation:
"The total T4 test has been used for many years to help diagnose hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism. It is a useful test but can be affected by the amount of protein available in the blood to bind to the hormone. The free T4 test is a newer test that is not affected by protein levels. Since free T4 is the active form of thyroxine, the free T4 test is thought by many to be a more accurate reflection of thyroid hormone function and, in most cases, its use has replaced that of the total T4 test. "

My doc uses free t3 and free T4 to really know what the thyroid is doing - the other tests test the pituitary - if you don't know if your pituitary is healthy then the test is not useful. As more people have pituitary issues than doctors like to think, than it is more useful to test the actual gland then look for source later. At least, that is how it should be to a patient who has been through the wringer.
Ok I'll try to get in contact with him and ask about that test. Thanks again