Addison's Disease Community
Weight Loss and Addison's Disease

Addison’s disease, also known as Adrenal Insufficiency or Hypocortisolism, is an endocrine disease that occurs when the adrenal glands do not produce enough of the hormone cortisol and sometimes, aldosterone. Discuss topics including symptoms and treatments for Addison’s disease.

Weight Loss and Addison's Disease

Hello! I have been diagnosed with Addison's disease for 4.5 years. I have only had one crisis about a year after diagnosis, and have been relatively stable and healthy since.

Recently, I have lost a lot of weight (10-12lbs) that I don't seem to be able to put back on despite eating more than normal. I am not experiencing signs of having low cortisol. I feel healthy and stable, if busy. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and whether or not it was linked to Addison's. I am also a celiac and avoid eating gluten.
Tags: Weight, Addison's diseasee
What replacement are you on and how much and when do you take it? Do you get monitored regularly for cortisol and things like sodium and potassium?

Are you on florinef? Do you crave salt?

Perhaps there is another issue at hand? Have you seen a GP?
Thank-you for your reply.

I have an appointment with a GP next week. I have not seen my specialist in a while, as I have been living out of the province (and country) for a few years.

I had a full annual check up (except for my cortisol) in May and everything except my cholesterol  okay. It's been about two years since I had my cortisol checked and am aware that I need to have this checked asap. I also have an appointment with my specialist in Dec when I got back to visit my family.

I take .75mg Dexamethasone every night and 0.1 (or a little bit more for working out) of fludrocortisone. I don't have huge salt cravings right now.

I was curious to know whether others addisonians have experienced this.From talking to a friend who is a doctor, I am suspect it may be malabsorption.

Thanks again for your reply!
Cheers!
Do you take sodium tablets or extra salt with the fludrocortisone? You could take salt, or a salty drink (eg tomato juice, V-8, gatorade, etc) instead of a pill while working out and see if that works out. That way you get fluids and salt. But this may be too much potassium so it depends on your situation and if you tolerate or need the potassium (in my case, I drop K as well as Na when I am low).

It could be due to your digestion issues that yes, your medications are not absorbing either.