Addison's Disease Community
addison + type 1 diabetic on pump

Addison’s disease, also known as Adrenal Insufficiency or Hypocortisolism, is an endocrine disease that occurs when the adrenal glands do not produce enough of the hormone cortisol and sometimes, aldosterone. Discuss topics including symptoms and treatments for Addison’s disease.

addison + type 1 diabetic on pump

I'm going in for a Vitrectomy (eye surgery) due 2 retinol hemorrhage, which caused me 2 go partially blind in 1 eye.
Has anyone on this board had this surgery?
Did u double your steroid dose for day of the surgery?
Did u keep your bgs higher during surgery.

thanks
SuzyQu
I have not had that particular surgery - but I have had many - both before and after my AI.

You should discuss with the anesthesia doc your steroid needs so they can give you the bolus during surgery. Then you will have to stay on a higher dose for a bit longer - I would consult your endo on the suggested dose he has for you.

It is part art, part science. You need to for the stress of the surgery - but if you have too much, you won't heal. For huge awful surgeries like my hysterectomy, I got 100mg during, and then 50mg every 6 hours for a few days, then tapered down. For in and out surgeries like colon looking stuff, they give me 50 or 100mg, depending on the freak of the guy reading my history, and I taper down at home over the next few days.

What is bgs?
thanks 4 your suggestions :-)

Bg's = blood glucose :-)
Oh... duh!
Since the increase in cortisol will impact your glucose, they will have to monitor. I know sometimes when I am on the whammy doses (like when I almost died, they zapped me with 250mgs) my blood sugar spiked and I had to get insulin in the hospital. So you should moderate down asap, or spread the dosages out if you can - see what your doc can do to prevent spikes but keep you from tanking in cortisol.

The fluids and salt they give you should help it is once you are off them - a crisis occurs when sodium drops. So keep that in mind that you may need more sodium for a while. Boulliuon Soup cubes can help.
Good advise - I'll keep it in mind :-)

I know the cortisol will raise my bgs, which will actually make me feel more mentally comfortable = as in no worry about going 2 low!
I'm more fearful of giving up "control" of my own health situation, than the operation itself.
After 51 yrs with D, and 15yrs with Addisons, u become your own doctor and health care specialist :-)

I guess I trust my own care better than a Dr's, no matter how schooled they are.

SuzyQu :-)

I am with you there!!! Been subject to a few too many mistakes... sadly.