Aa
A
A
Close
306245_tn?1244388567
addisons disease
my mom was told she had this disease, addisons, from what I have read there is no cure for it, but is there athing like remission where you are so satble that you don't need your medications anymore?
thanks
michelle
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Michelle
My mother-in-law has Addison's disease. As far as I know, she cannot go off the medication. In this disease, your body does produce enough cortisol. So, unless anyone else has any additional information that I am unaware of, I believe those with Addison's must take medication daily to maintain a normal cortisol level. My mother-in-law lives a very normal life....people don't even know she has it, so if that is a concern...don't let it be!!!
Julie
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I have addison's. I have had it since 2001.  I have been in remission for approximately 4 months.  During this time I have not had my medications.   So far so good.  No symptoms what so ever.  I have read that remission has lasted as long as four years.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
657231_tn?1453836403
It is possible to not take your medications and be ok - but you are not in remission. If you are not under stress, the body can exist - but the person is at risk that if the person got sick or stressed, they would be more likely to go faster into crisis.

For instance, I have no adrenals - they were removed. I have gone off my replacements under supervision for 8 days for testing. I did not drop dead (I was worried!) and I did  fine - I certainly was not in remission and I was able to walk around and do things.

People are sick long times before they are diagnosed - bodies are able to undergo a lot of stress!  It is just best to stick with the regimen and be safe so the body has what it needs and some buffer zone.
Comment
Cancel
657231_tn?1453836403
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
306245_tn?1244388567
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
addisons disease
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Addison's Disease Community Resources