addisons disease
my mom was told she had this disease, addisons, from what I have read there is no cure for it, but is there athing like remission where you are so satble that you don't need your medications anymore?
thanks
michelle
Michelle
My mother-in-law has Addison's disease. As far as I know, she cannot go off the medication. In this disease, your body does produce enough cortisol. So, unless anyone else has any additional information that I am unaware of, I believe those with Addison's must take medication daily to maintain a normal cortisol level. My mother-in-law lives a very normal life....people don't even know she has it, so if that is a concern...don't let it be!!!
Julie
I have addison's. I have had it since 2001.  I have been in remission for approximately 4 months.  During this time I have not had my medications.   So far so good.  No symptoms what so ever.  I have read that remission has lasted as long as four years.
It is possible to not take your medications and be ok - but you are not in remission. If you are not under stress, the body can exist - but the person is at risk that if the person got sick or stressed, they would be more likely to go faster into crisis.

For instance, I have no adrenals - they were removed. I have gone off my replacements under supervision for 8 days for testing. I did not drop dead (I was worried!) and I did  fine - I certainly was not in remission and I was able to walk around and do things.

People are sick long times before they are diagnosed - bodies are able to undergo a lot of stress!  It is just best to stick with the regimen and be safe so the body has what it needs and some buffer zone.