Adoption Community
Adoption

This patient support community is for discussions relating to adoption costs, foster children, adoption planning, Adoption Resources, adoption in foreign countries, birth parents, emotional issues, family issues, interracial adoption, legal issues, newborns, parenting, school issues, teens, toddlers, open adoption, and step parent adoption.

Adoption

Hi I was adopted and wondering how they cope after being adopted and now your pregnant. I need support from people who been adopted them self and now your pregnancy. I wondering how they cope with it?
Hello and welcome!

I'm an adoptee, I was adopted when I was about a year and a half old.  Everyone handles being adopted very differently, depending on many factors, for instance, how and when they were TOLD they were adopted, at what age they were adopted, if they know others that were adopted, if they have bio and/or adopted siblings, how good (or bad) their childhood was, and so on.  

For ME, being adopted was the most normal thing in the world.  I grew up knowing, there was never one specific time where my parents sat me down to tell me, therefore, I was always very accepting of it, and honestly didn't think about it too much at all, still don't, to be honest.  I had a great childhood, and wonderful parents, so I never felt like something was "missing".  Others that were raised differently sometimes DO experience that sort of feeling, like there is a piece of the puzzle that's missing.  Do you feel like that?

As for how I handled my pregnancies, me being adopted was a non-issue.  It honestly didn't come into play.  The only thing I can say was that after I gave birth, I could especially appreciate seeing that physical resemblance, I really cherished that, but as for any kind of emotional dilemma, there was none for me.

Is this your first pregnancy?  Was this a planned pregnancy for you?  How is your family dynamic?  Do you have a close relationship with your adoptive parents?  How about siblings?  If you could elaborate a bit as to the emotional issues you feel you're experiencing, I'll do my best to hopefully lead you in the right direction as far as how to handle it.  What kind of concerns do you have specifically, and what exactly are you needing help "coping" with?

Looking forward to your reply!  Glad you found us!