How long does the process take?
All -
After a few tries at IVF, I've come to the conclusion that we will need to adopt.
I'm just starting the adoption process.  I know this can be a very long process.
Can anyone share thier stories with me, and tell me how long it took?
We are looking into infant adoption - any success with anyone?
I did international adoption from China...the process took 2 years, but that was back in 2005-2006...the wait period is much longer now.

Each country is different in the wait time.  You can check online with any adoption agency.

As far as domestic adoption, I am not sure the wait period..I think it has to do with who chooses you to be adoptive parents.
There are several options - domestic newborn, domestic older, foreign. Most of the time with foreign, the child will be at least 2 years old.

One option is to speak with translators at the local hospital.  I have a friend who is a translator.  This is how they got their daughter.  The lady was having her 3 child and she was an illegal.  She was telling the nurses that she couldn't keep her child.  They called the translators in.  This couple had been trying for at least 10 years (I have known them that long).  The couple told they lady that they would love to have this child if she would let them.  After she gave birth, she handed the little girl to them and everything was taken care of legally and they brought her home 3 days later.

In my case, I broadcasted to everyone I knew that I wanted to adopt,  Friends, family, business associates, clients,,,  I met a lady in Jan 08 and out of the blue she called me in June and told me her friend's daughter was due in July and couldn't keep the baby.  Within 29 days, I had all the legal stuff started and brought my son home.

These are 2 examples of private adoption.

You can go through an agency or the state.  State is easier if you are willing to take in older children or multiples or children with special needs.  Actually, special needs is often considered to be over 5 or multiples.

Agencies are often longer in waiting - as they say that there are more couples wanting to adopt and not enough children.

If you want to go to China, there is a fast track program through Holt.  Look up Holt International Adoption.  These children have medical needs that are not life threatening - like cleft palate, club foot, ect.  Adoption of these children can take as little as 9 months.  If you need assistance, check out Shohannah's Hope - Steven Curtis Chapman's organization.  They help with grants for adoption.