Adoption Community
Introducing a new Community Leader
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to adoption costs, foster children, adoption planning, Adoption Resources, adoption in foreign countries, birth parents, emotional issues, family issues, interracial adoption, legal issues, newborns, parenting, school issues, teens, toddlers, open adoption, and step parent adoption.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Introducing a new Community Leader

Please join us in welcoming Nursegirl6572 as your new Community Leader!  We look forward to working with Nursegirl6572 and all of our members in the Adoption Community.

Best,

Cheryl
MH Community Mgr
Tags: adoption, adoptionport
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
480448_tn?1403547723
Thanks, C, I look forward to it!  

Just briefly, to share my own history of adoption:

I was adopted at the age of 18 months by my wonderful parents.  I couldn't have hand chosen a better family to be raised in.  Growing up, my family was friends with other families with adopted children, so it was always very "normal" for me.  I grew up knowing I was adopted, so it was never strange or odd for me.  It wasn't until I got a little older where I realized to some people, it's a crazy thing...I cannot tell you all HOW many times people will be shocked to find out I am adopted, some just refuse to believe it, lol.  Some people just haven't been exposed to anyone who was adopted.  I have an older sister who is my parents' biological child.  My mother couldn't have any more children after having her.

Also, my sister adopted her oldest son (my nephew) from Russia, so I got to experience that along with them.  They are still quite active in the agency where they adopted my nephew from (he will be 17 this April).  I know a little about international adoptions as a result.

So, I do have some experience with adoption.  I am familiar (a little) with different search methods for those interested in reconnecting with their bio families.  

Closed adoptions of the 70's (and earlier) were very different from the modern day adoption options.  I never searched for my bio family, but I DID obtain my "non-identifying info", which is basically a bio without names or identifying info about my parents and their families.  It was quite an interesting tale, with some strange similarities to my life as an adult. I will share more details on another thread.

Finally, for those looking into putting a child up for adoption, I think it's just the most amazing and selfless thing a person can do, and no doubt a very difficult one.  I'd be happy to help anyone considering that as an option for their pregnancy navigate through what needs done.  

Please feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns...my door is always open.  I reply to PMs as quickly as I can.  I am a community leader on several other forums, and sometimes I get a little distracted.  If there is ever something that needs addressed, or a thread is sitting without a reply, please shoot me a PM in case I haven't seen it.

~Nursegirl
Blank
370181_tn?1408130715
Hey! Congratulations on being the CL of the Adoption Forum!
You are a woman of so many talents, so much compassion and so much knowledge..........you just never cease to amaze me!

greenlydia
Blank
1834120_tn?1353549090
Yay! Glad to have you on board. I am interested in finding outmore about international adoption. Can you tell me how to begin?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Adoption Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank