Adoption Community
Looking to Adopt

This patient support community is for discussions relating to adoption costs, foster children, adoption planning, Adoption Resources, adoption in foreign countries, birth parents, emotional issues, family issues, interracial adoption, legal issues, newborns, parenting, school issues, teens, toddlers, open adoption, and step parent adoption.

Looking to Adopt

My husband and I are looking to adopt a baby. Ideally, we'd like to meet with someone who is pregnant and help her along the way to ensure she and the baby are healthy, and to minimize the psychological impact on the birth mother. I'm a 25 year old registered nurse, my husband is a 28 year old graphic designer. We have enough love for a million babies and while we're financially stable, we're not able to spend tens of thousands by going through some of the agencies we've found. We're of course willing to financially assist with medical costs though.

If anyone has any advice for us as to how we can go about making our dream come true, we'd love to hear from you.
Try family and friends, let everyone know you are wanting to do this.  If you are a member of a church, also put the word out there.
Annie gave you some great suggestions...word of mouth is definitely one way to get the call rolling.  Are you looking into an open adotpion?

You don't have to go completely through an agency, but I would recommend trying to find an agency that will help you along the way, especially if you find a birth Mom willing to discuss the adoption.  Then, it gets a little trickier.  Where agencies are super expensive is when they are finding the child for you.  It's possible to do some of ther leg work yoursellf, so they only have to be involved in the legal process.

You can search for specific agencies in your area...you would google "adoption resources in my city, pa"...something like that.

Very best to you..I hope your dream comes true!

Another thought is, you said "while we're financially stable, we're not able to spend tens of thousands by going through some of the agencies we've found. We're of course willing to financially assist with medical costs though."  Please be prepared for the fact that even in a private adoption, if you intend to finalize things legally and not just raise someone in the family's child, you will have other expenses besides assisting with medical costs.  You'll need to have a home study done (not that the cost is prohibitive, but I don't think any state will finalize any adoption without one) and you'll have court fees, and you'll need to pay for a lawyer (probably for the birth mother's lawyer's fees also.)  It probably doesn't run to the tens of thousands of dollars you mentioned, but I just wanted you not to be surprised that even in the simplest of adoptions there are costs.