Nephew and Bother adoption.
I am the oldest (23) child of three. My sister passed away 8-20-10 when she was only 18 years old. She left behind her 9 month old son that my Mother began taking care of him and she passed away 3-3-12. At that time my father began taking care of him and he has just recently passed 7-21-12. I now have to start the process of adopting him and my 15 year old brother. My local legal aid office declined helping me and told my to contact DCF. Does anyone know what this entails? Home inspections, drug testing, looking into bank account information, ect. I have nothing to worry about, but was just wondering what type of things they look for and how difficult this will really be. Also to get a regular attorney it will cost my approximately 3-5 thousand dollars which will take me some time to come up with. There was no life insurance so money is currently an issue. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance for those who can help.
I wish I could give you some info but I've no idea. What you do have is my greatest sympathies. I can't begin to imagine how distressing this is for you. Good luck!
I am actually adopting my little sisters baby not sure what state you live in but in oklahoma in family you dont have to have a house study but you do have to have your nephews father sign a away his rights if you cant find him you.gotta put a legal add on the paper as.for adopting your.brother it might be harder because any blood reletive can challange you. As long as you have a place for you all to live a job you can support everyone with and no felony-violent or sex crime charges you should be fine...google the adoption laws for your state and we bought an adoption kit for $350-$400 you just fill it.out and they file.everything...hope.i was a little helpful
For any kind of adoption process you need to go through some background verification as the officials will try to check whether they are giving right permission to right person for the safety of child's future. I am sure as you say that everything is fine only the money is an issue but definitely you can find a way like adoption kit which will be less expensive.
You could start with getting legal guardianship of them and then go from there. That should cost as much as the adoption but it will u the legal rights to make we decisions for then for now.
*shouldnt cost