Adoption Community
Thinking about adoption

This patient support community is for discussions relating to adoption costs, foster children, adoption planning, Adoption Resources, adoption in foreign countries, birth parents, emotional issues, family issues, interracial adoption, legal issues, newborns, parenting, school issues, teens, toddlers, open adoption, and step parent adoption.

Thinking about adoption

What are the steps in adopting a child?  Do you have to first become foster parents?  Can anyone lead me to some good resources in adopting?
There are several steps in adopting.  A good agency, public or private , will walk you through those.  The first step is the home visits and approval.  Many places do require you to be a foster parent first.  With babys it is more a legality with older children it is a good time to see if it is a good fit.  There are many good adoption websites that expalin it all.  
i think it may very from state to state. I live in georgia and adopted thru our local DFACS. i became a foster parent first because if you apply as an adoptive home only and want an infant your chances are very low.  when a child is taken from the home they are placed in a foster home while the parents complete a case plan if the parents are unable to complete their case plan the foster parent is then asked if they are interested in adopting. if they are not then the child is taken to an adoptive home  this may take several months to a year or more.  I recieved my son at 3 days old his mother was given several opportunities to complete a case plan but was not willing to comply. I was able to adopt just 5 days shy of his second birthday. had i not been willing to be a foster parent he would not have been brought to my home first.  the law here used to be that if you applied to be a foster family then you were not able to adopt the child in your home. of course this was not good for the child so our laws were changed.  you really need to check on this if you are considering a DFACS adoption as it will save you and the child a tremendous amount of heartache
I adopted my daughter from China..If you are interested in international adoption you may post back with any questions you may have.
What if a family member is giving up their baby for adoption, you can't afford it but they would like it to stay in the family, and you want to have a baby.... how do you go about that?
Nope, you don't have to be a foster parent first.  We adopted from Russia (we wanted a baby quickly and at the time this was the fastest way - 6 months).  Please let me know if you have any questions!
I am not sure about your situation, however, I think if it is a family member who is willingly relinquishing custody to you, then it will be straight-forward adoption.  I think it would only be lawyers fees, is any....you should call the surrogate court in your county in your state.  They will be able to give you the guidelines.  Best of luck to you...Sounds like a blessing for the family all the way around!
i have a son who was adopted through a friend whose neice wanted to put him up for adoption.  she knew us well and wanted her nephew to be as close to the family as possible so we went to the courthouse with the mother and she signed over custody right there to us.  he lived with us and we hired a lawyer to file the adoption papers.  it cost a few thousand for lawyer fees.  depending on the area you may have to pay for a home study as well, but you do not need a ome study to take custody of a child.  you can become a childs legal gardian without adoption and it does not cost hardly anything but just remember birth mom will still have rights to the child.