Adoption Community
can I adopt my sister??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to adoption costs, foster children, adoption planning, Adoption Resources, adoption in foreign countries, birth parents, emotional issues, family issues, interracial adoption, legal issues, newborns, parenting, school issues, teens, toddlers, open adoption, and step parent adoption.

can I adopt my sister??

Ok heres the situation my sister lives with my mom in an unstable environment and I want her. My mom has a house and over 30+ cats in it.Her and my sister and my step father live with his mom in a different home. My mom does pills and goes to the methodone clinic and I have been told she is shooting up. My sister came to my house one day and told me she hadnt eatin in 2 days an dc when she finally got something my mom took it and gave it to the cats. Noone in the home has a job. I want my sister. She is only 10 and should have a normal childhood. Im 19 and I live with my fiance. He has a very good job and we are renting a 2 bedroom house. Can I get custody of my sister and how would I go about it? I have already tried to asm my mom for her and she said no.
you should talk to child protection agencies and after they give you a written report that the environment your mom is providing is unstable and might affect your sister you can file a civil law suite
but before doing all of that you have to make sure that your sister wants to move in with you and you shouldn't tell your mom before bringing child services because she might move away or hide your sister or even make your sister lie so that she's protected
good luck i'm praying for you and for your sister :)
I don't no where u r from but where I am from child services usually try to keep the child within the family if possible. I no you r young but as long as u can show them that you have a good network of sorport ( people their 2 help u if u needed like ur own aunts friends ect) they should give u a chance.
They won't let u adopt her to start with but u would take on the role of foster parent and a social worker will visit you and ur sister in ur home to make sure everything is going ok. After a while they will ask u to go to court and get what we call a resadence order which give u level custody of the child. It is a long slow and sometimes hard road to go down but belief me it is worth it in the end.
Thank u all...it helps to know I have a chance to get her.
First of all I am very sorry to know the condition about your sister, but I will like to tell you that it is possible to take your sister back with you. and you must try for that to make her life beautiful. My best wishes are with you do not worry definitely you will be successful in your effort. God will help you.
To start off with to be eligible to get a child placed with you once they have been removed by the state you have to be 21 so if you call cps at this time its almost guaranteed that they will keep her for the next 2yrs before they place her with you and by time then she would be in countless foster homes giving her age. So ask your self is that a move you want to make I'm not telling you to wait 2yrs just go a different route other than cps sometimes they are not always best for the child. Good luck to you and your sister.
I am in the same situation but my 11 year old sister was already in a foster home. The parents got divorced and now she is stuck in the middle with no where to go. My grandparents raised me and are now to old to look after her. I am 21 years old and working. Going to be studying correspondence soon. I cant let her be put in a home like I was. What do I do?
Im so sorry to hear about the situation of your sister , ask legal council about that one , they might be able to help you . Best wishes for you and for your sister . Stay strong . :)