Adoption Community
how to start

This patient support community is for discussions relating to adoption costs, foster children, adoption planning, Adoption Resources, adoption in foreign countries, birth parents, emotional issues, family issues, interracial adoption, legal issues, newborns, parenting, school issues, teens, toddlers, open adoption, and step parent adoption.

how to start

Over the weekend My son said all he wants is a baby sister.  I had a hysterectomy so I can't give him one my self.  My husband and I have talked about it before that we both would love to adopt a baby or a few.  I want to know the cheapest way to adopt.  I live in PA and not even sure of the laws.  I don't want to do foster care either.
I use to work for a Adoption Facilitator actually the same one i placex my own child thru 8yrs ago
And honestly the least expensive way to adopt is to do foster/adopt through the county that u live in
Otherwise an adoption can cost anywhere from $20,000 to $100,000 depending on the birthmom and any needed expenses she has
We did foster to adopt and it has been an amazing experience.   Why are you opposed to foster as an option?    I also feel that you should think long and hard about the reasons for wanting to adopt a child.   Adopting comes with its own set of challenges and you have to be very certain that it is right for you and your family.   Adopting because your son wants a sibling causes concern for me.   You really need to contact your county and arrange to do your home study.   This would be necessary even if you chose to adopt from a private agency.   Going through the orientation and classes will open your eyes to all that is involved with adoption and how it impacts your famil.
As a person that was adopted, I think it's a wonderful option!!  I think it is a wonderful way to grow your family!!!  I haven't adopted myself, but did use donor embryos to grow my family.  I think giving a child a chance at a family is a wonderful thing!!!!   Also, I could see how fostering could be harder too....you become so attached to the child, and then they are reunited with their families, and you are left with an empty spot in your heart.  I wish you much luck on your journey :)
If money is an issue, then your options will be a little more limited.  Like said above, probably the most reasonable choice would be to contact your local county and start inquiring about what your options are and what's involved.  It's a lengthy process no matter how you do it, so it's best to get started, the sooner the better.

International adoptions are nice in that they are more like the closed adoptions we had here back in the 70's, for someone who prefers that.  Open adoptions are very common if you're looking to adopt a young child or baby here in the US.

Start with your county, and go from there.  Ask for referrals to professionals you can talk to about how the processes work, and what things there are to consider, so you can be prepared for what is to come, and aware of the challenges too, so you make the right decision.  Very best to you..I wish you all the luck in the world.  Keep us posted!
I really hope that your intentions are well-meaning and that you would truly love this child that you wish to adopt. You should not be going into this because your son is lonely and wants a sibling. Adopting a child is not like adopting a puppy for your son!

Wow, I would have been the most resentful child if my duty in life was to entertain your natural born son!, Just the fact that he is yours from birth and I would have been yours only through adoption would have been a real issue for me. Adoptees already bring along issues that many adoptive parents are unaware of.

An adoptee has already experienced abandonment and often have PTSD before they are even adopted. I'm talking about one that is placed after only a few weeks old. We struggle with self-identity and lowered self-esteem.

It is essential that the adoptive parents have the best of intentions when choosing to adopt. We should not come into your family with a role to play or a job to do. It's unfortunate that many adoptive parents put such a huge burden on a tiny little baby to fulfill their needs of wanting to be a parent. Often adoptive parents want and expect this little child to be just like themselves and fill that void. Adoptees do not share your DNA and we never will. We are our own little person, with are own natural abilities, personalities and interests. Please keep that in mind when adopting. Love us for the unique, individual we are, not for who you want us to be. Sorry for the rant.