Adoption Community
searching for birth mother

This patient support community is for discussions relating to adoption costs, foster children, adoption planning, Adoption Resources, adoption in foreign countries, birth parents, emotional issues, family issues, interracial adoption, legal issues, newborns, parenting, school issues, teens, toddlers, open adoption, and step parent adoption.

searching for birth mother

I am wondering how to get medical info about my biological family when I have sealed adoption files.  I was born 3/2/1961 at Northridge Hospital.  My adoptive mother is elderly and has memory difficulties.  My adoptive father is deceased.  I have no siblings to my knowledge.  I am the father of a 14 y/o son.  My wife has Multiple Sclerosis and I elevated Cholesterol.  I would like to know something of my genetic/medical background.  Is there anyone out there with any connections to records?  I believe my birth mother may have used the name "Muller" when she gave birth.  I would appreciate any help.

have you reregistered on any websites?  if you need some address i can pm you with them
You can do a search in the state that you were born in. Some states have now opened records to adult adoptees.  I am an adoptee and was born in DC. Still closed there and it will cost me 3000+. Money I do not have.  There are a few DNA places out there that can help. I'm looking into one for my heritage.
jwaddell,  you've listed yourself as "female" on this website,  and who knows where "Northridge Hospital" might be located.

When you do a search for your birth parents,  you will want to be more careful.   Find out where this hospital might be located,  list your individual statistics carefully,  and go from there.

BTW - you will have much more information if you just get medically tested,  rather than have a medical history.  Medical testing now is SO MUCH better than just an oral history of your ancestors.  To the point that frankly,  adopted children have no real need to seek their ancestors for that reason.  It kind of becomes smoke and mirrors - children just want to know,  but it is in fact of no medical value.
If this is Northridge, California, I believe that California law now allows adoptees and birthmothers to obtain identifying information on the other once both have signed "waivers of condidentiality". You could contact the agency you were adopted through, if you know it, and request a waiver form and let them know you would like to find out your medical history. You may also want, or later want, to meet your birthparent(s), but even if you don't, you should at least try contacting the agency. Some states have registries---I don't know the current status in most states, though. Oregon, where I live, has opened records; if you are in Oregon, contact the agency you were adopted through, or the state or local records office; if you get some jerk who won't give you information or tells you "oh you can't have that," try on another day; if you still have trouble, contact a local adoptees group or internet adoptees group or even a lawyer. By the way, your genealogical medical information is hardly identical with what medical testing can find, and is indeed of medical value; RockRose is mistaken in suggesting it isn't.
You can get a court order to open non-identifying information up to you. You usually need to have a physician/psychiatrist give medical reasons as to why you need this information. I'm in Utah, and we still have sealed records. I'm in the process of getting this court order. I think that EVERY adoptee has a right to know her parents heritage, medical and psychological history and other important information. I wish they would change the laws.
This is a REALLY good post! I have thought about this very thing for years! Ever since I had a kidney removed and kidney stones at the age of 26. My bio mother has epilepsy and has the mentality of a child. Information on her and her family's medical history is of the upmost importance to me because I need to know if my children are at risk for any health defects later on in life. I don't even know where to begin though! I've asked my bio mom, but she claims no one in her family had any medical issues. I highly doubt that since they are all dead and have been for years (according to her).

If anyone has any info, please feel free to PM me. Thank you!!!
I had a closed adoption and was given my medical and non-identifying info from the adoption agency for a fee.