Adoption Community
want to find birth parents

This patient support community is for discussions relating to adoption costs, foster children, adoption planning, Adoption Resources, adoption in foreign countries, birth parents, emotional issues, family issues, interracial adoption, legal issues, newborns, parenting, school issues, teens, toddlers, open adoption, and step parent adoption.

want to find birth parents

I'm now 28 years old. I was adopted when I was 2 years old. I know nothing about my birth parents or adoption. Interested in finding out some information, but don't know where to start. I've tried online sites but they want money, I've tried my state government (Michigan) site and got no where. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Have you talked to your adopted parents about this? You will need to get some information from them, like your birth parents name and any other information they can give. I don't know if adoption papers at the court house are sealed or not, but maybe you could start there. Without any information though, it's not going to be easy. Also, try to get the name of the agency. Hopefully your adopted parents are willing to help even though it may be painful for them. Good luck and please keep us posted!
Ask your parents anything they know. No sense in hunting down information that may already be accessable. I assume you know your birthdate, place. If you can find out the hospital you where born, look into optaining a copy of your hospital birth record. Also the county in which you where born have birth records. If it was not a closed adoption,the birth mothers name may be on the original. Adoptions.com is mostly free.
These things can take years, be patient.
I agree with everything everyone has said so far. Also, if can help to unseal your records (if you live in a state that seals adoption records, like mine does)., to have a medical professional give a medical/psychological reason why you need to know non-identifying iformation about your birth parents. It is the frist step in unsealing your records.

I am currently looking for my birth parents, and as you said, you need to have money to find your birth parent in most cases. I found a good guy that really isn't too expensive and seems to have really good refrences. He was able to tell me in 5 minutes what my original birth name was. I knew this information already, but I was impressed that he had ways to find things out correctly and quickly. Anyway, his name is

Good luck with your search.