ACTH Stimulation Test
I've recently found out that I am being tested for an adrenal tumor and/or congenital adrenal hyperplasia. I know nothing about either, but have been scheduled for an ACTH stimulation test on December 15th. I was given no information about the test, and have found limited information online.

Basically what I am asking is... How should I prepare? And if any, are there side effects I should be worried about? I am emetophobic and absolutely detest the thought of nausea/vomiting. Are either a possibility?

Thank you in advance for any advice that can be given.
No real prep, but you may be asked not to exercise before the test, and some doctors may want you to fast.

I would call the office and ask for instructions.

Do you know what is being used for the stim - insulin, cortosyn or CRH?

Most people get flushing, some get nothing - as for tossing o' cookie, if they use insulin, some people find that harder on the body and have more of a chance of getting sick to your stomach most most just get cold, tired and flushed.
Thank you for your response!

I've been told that my 17-hydroxyprogesterone and DHEA levels are quite high, so my endocrinologist would like me to have the test to diagnose congenital adrenal hyperplasia. So I would assume they're not testing for insulin production. I'm gunna go with cortisol for this one. I presume they would only use insulin for diabetes testing?
No - they use insulin to stress the body, so they use it to go GH and cortisol testing.

They use glucose for testing for diabetes.

There is a genetic test, I think, for CAH - are they going to do that?
Yes, they are going to do the test for CAH. I asked two doctors and they said they highly doubt I'll be injected with Insulin. Have you had the test yourself?
I had the CRH one. They keep changing the stim agents. I had the opposite of this all - Cushing's - but had my adrenals removed so now live AI for the rest of my life. I get many of the tests regularly.I am now panhypopituitary.
I did some research on Cushings upon reading your message. It seems pretty involved. I'm not really sure what my endocrinologist is looking for here but I'll find out more on the 18th.

What does living AI mean? Are your tests invasive? I hope you're not experiencing any discomfort. This whole hormonal rampage is so new and all so confusing for me.

I had the ACTH stim test, and it was easy peasy lemon squeezy. Just in case anyone out there is curious, I thought I'd make the post.
AI= adrenal insufficient. Cushing's is very involved (sad!) so most patients learn more than the docs.
The tests are the same as Cushing's only my results are different. I am actually panhypopit - I have lost most of my hormones and replace almost all of them - so it makes me a bit complex. Hormones are not fun.

Glad your test was easy peasy!
No, they're not fun at all. Most recently I'm starting to feel the wonderful nausea associated even with just hormonal imbalance. And given I'm emetophobic the very last thing I wanna feel is nausea... once in my life, let alone every day. I'll be very happy once I start some treatment and can shake these waves of ill feelings.

Thanks so much for your posts!
My doc gives me zofran - now generic and cheap! Get some of that or phenergan and keep it with you - or you can take any or the salty fizzy things that work on the stomach. I eat up the lemony fizzy things - brioche etc. to help the tummy when it gets bad - sadly, that stomach is part of the low cortisol package.