Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Adernal Gland Pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

Adernal Gland Pain?

hello everyone hope your well.

I had a question...I have been getting this issue with my lower back for a few months now and its getting worse. I am getting lower back pain and its not musko-skeletal in origin. I have seen the chiropractor.

The pains feels like internal organ pain. It feels like my adrenal glands are enlarged.

Is this possible to have enlarged adrenals?

Thanks.
Are the both adrenals? What others symptoms do you have? Apparently are your adrenals, because the description you are describing is the same I have.

yes it switches back and forth both sides. I have weak appetite and weight loss. low energy and weakness.

do you know what to do about the condition? is adrenal replacement needed?

what are you symptoms?
I suggest you visit endocrinogist.

I had weight gain, low energy, low muscle recovery, hypoglicemia, and more but literrally a lot of symptoms like IBS, goat, joint pain. May be we have the same adrenal pain but different condition. Without lab test the only thing I can do is share with you my experience.

is your pain gone? Are you all better now? Are you on any meds?

thank you for your reply.
Usually enlarged adrenals mean too much cortisol, not too little. Weak adrenals atrophy and become smaller. Since adrenals are tiny to begin with - you have to get imaging and imaging can be iffy. For instance, I know my adrenals were enlarged (they were removed) but my scans showed they were normal both before and AFTER removal.

I agree with Sibil - you need to get testing.
Thanks rumpled. Are you on hc? How do you feel? Hows your energy and mood?

What scan is best mri? Ct? or ultra sound?

If the adrenals are really stressed and one supplements hc replacement dose, wont that stoo the pain? Thank you.
My symptoms are energy loss, anxiety, lower back pain, and major weight loss. Basically anerexic now. 5'10 129 lbs male, 22 years old.
My pain have been reduced drastically, Im better and improving each day even I can work on a full time job. Im on hydrocortisone. I was Dx recently and on treatment recently too.

I dont like to speculate in situations like this but you should see a list of symptoms of addison to see if are the same.
wow Sibil_21! I am so happy you are doing better I wish you the best and fastest recovery.

Do you have addisons? Are you on full replacement?

Right speculation can be bad. I had seen my local dr and endo and they seem to not be on board with hormones. So I am looking for someone to work with whos can treat my situation proper.

thanks.
Probably ultrasound is best. CTs though are ordered before surgery. All of them were wrong for me and others though - you have to understand adrenals are tiny.

I took HC for years. I recently changed to dexamethasone but only because for my case, my pituitary is putting out too much ACTH and I am trying to reduce that. Dex suppresses ACTH and so I changed.

If adrenals are stressed, they simply get smaller. They are not functioning well if you have Addison's.  I hope you can find the proper doctor so you can get proper treatment. Is your PCP on board and will he test you?
I have a adrenocortical deficiency (culturally named adrenal fatigue) like a mild case of adrenal insufficiently. The treatment consist in the use of physiologic (not pharmalogic) of hydrocorisone.
I have secondary adrenal insufficiency (pituitary problem) & get back pain but only on 1 side near the mid-back rt. kidney area (near adrenal gland).  It seems to get worse when I'm in a crisis or very sick/stressed.  I looked it up once & found there is something called Rogoff's sign that is positive in many adrenal patients.  Basically, a pain in mid-back.  Not sure if it's similar to yours because you said low back.  I would definitely get to a doctor asap because of your pain, weight loss, fatigue.  GOOD LUCK!
I have been suffering from extreme fatigue, depression, high blood pressure, thyroid problems. Heart palpitations, sweating, have almost constant anxiety for no reason, I cry, worry about every little ting all these getting worse in the past year. Put on thyroid , high blood pressure meds, now high dose of metformin for diabetes 2, three months ago I went to the doctors because I was concerned about urinary frequency. I had uti,after 7 antibiotics it finally came back negative. but unusual for me, no burning no pain when urinating, only what seemed to be bladder pain and pulsing after, and almost severe pain where my kidneys are.went to urologist. Did CT SCAN with and without contrast, found 1 &1/2 centimeter tumor on adrenal gland. Followed with blood work that showed almost no epinephrine level and way too much noraepinephrine. The pain on both sides of my kidneys are back..I have about a month's wait to see the endocrinologist that I've been referred to because my doc says he's the best. Now I'm on lexapro. And she has given me low dose  XANAX.and I an so upset the XANAX does not help.r feel like such a big baby.but I can't seem to stop crying then these stupid panic attacks have started. I can see Addison s, disease or adrenal gland s are quoting on me. But how can I stop this crying and constant panic attacks now. Any ideas ....do u think I'll lose my adrenal glands if my pituitary gland is ok....
Uh, look up pheocytochroma. I probably spelled that wrong. Phew is how most people call it.

You have to get the removed. You don't have addison's or ai most likely.  Just the pheo.