Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Adrenal Crisis - Symptom Causes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

Adrenal Crisis - Symptom Causes

During Adrenal Crisis..what exactly is causing that Out-Of -It feeling ? I usually can't stand up or even finish a sentence, also a total lack of coordination.  Once I'm really in crisis I would never be able to give myself the injection of Solu-cortef, even though I have it in the house.  What's actually causing all those symptoms?  I usually go into crisis when I catch a stomach virus even if it's way less than a 24 hr. bug., but any real sickness like the flu or bronchitis with a high fever will do it too.  But I don't understand what's happening during the crisis itself.....
Anybody have any clues ?
Tags: crisis
The actual cause of a crisis it the lowering of sodium and the spike of potassium (although in some people potassium will also drop).

So instead of a reaction to stress of a raised blood pressure, it drops, and the whole body kinda goes to pot from there - and  you can die... but some people do have a sudden rise in blood pressure.

You can actually help yourself during a crisis or before one - with the simple addition of SALT! The salt will balance out the potassium. Potassium should be avoided unless you are 100% sure (as in you have been in a hospital and know you tank in both) to avoid issues. Fluids can help too...

I get plain salt tablets. The buffered ones are buffered with potassium!
Sana2016 joined this community
Welcome them!
May 25
BarbieDob01 emmadob Comment
May 22
ChitChatNine commented on Cindy's status
May 19