Aa
A
A
Close
1401877 tn?1288111239
Adrenal insufficieny with normal acth test??
Hi all,
I've been a regular on the Dysautonomia forum with Postural Orthastatic Tachycardia Syndrome.  I think before I get in to a ton of questions I should see if I'm even in the right place.  I've had a 24 saliva test and then a 24 hour urine test which both showed low cortisol levels but then I had the acth stimulation test which turned out to be completely normal.  Is it possible to still have some kind of adrenal or endocrine issue with a normal acth test? I keep thinking the low cortisol levels must mean something.  Anyone have any thoughts that might help here? My endocrinologist seemed at a loss and I want to make sure that I'm not missing anything.
Thanks so much for any help you can offer!!!
-Lala
Cancel
4 Answers
Page 1 of 1
657231 tn?1453836403
Unfortunately, testing cortisol is part art and part science. You tested 2 days if I get your testing correctly - the saliva test covered one day and the urine another? That is not a lot of testing. Was it serum cortisol that was low in the morning? Have you had serum cortisol testing as well? Free cortisol can be interfered by medications and other things so it pays to test a lot to see the entire adrenal (were other hormones tested) and see what is up.
Is your sodium and potassium normal? The POTS could be related to an issue with them - were renin and aldosterone tested?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Ask for the Insulin stress test, which will also test your CRH response, which stimulates ACTH.

Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
1401877 tn?1288111239
Thank you both for your comments, I just emailed my endocrinologist with your responses to see what he thinks.  I'm sure the POTS is related and I've spent over a decade trying to figure this out and hopefully some day someone will figure it out and I'll get some relief!!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
657231 tn?1453836403
Make sure you get copies of all your tests!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Recent Activity
1817063 tn?1317204337
Blank
teo1958 is ... Comment
10 hrs ago
Blank
5665 commented on Think LYRICA was culp...
Jul 21
363281 tn?1353103243
Blank
SassyLassie commented on I had no idea there w...
Jul 18
Top Thyroid Answerers
Blank
MI
657231 tn?1453836403
Blank
Northern, NJ
Adrenal Insufficiency Community Resources