Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Adrenal stimulation test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

Adrenal stimulation test

Has anyone had the Adrenal stimulation test? The dr. is going to put ACTH into me to check for adrenal problems and pituitary gland problems. Did anyone have any side effects from it and did the test solve some of your problems.?
I had the ACTH stim test doe a few days ago.

There weren't really any side effects that were major.  I felt maybe a bit flushed, and a little spaced out, but I don't think there are any major side effects that even come up.  I've had tests where you must be monitored by nurse for x number of minutes after the test, etc.  Nurse did the 2 minute ACTH push and then just left.

I am still waiting on the results.  I have the chem lab (I posed on here, but nobody has been able to post a reply with what the results may mean).

The test is pretty simple.  They draw your blood and then inject the synthetic ACTH.  They sent me to the lab waiting room and came to get me at about 28 minutes.  They draw one tube of blood again and send you back to the waiting room.  They then do the same thing at 60 minutes.

I am extremely sensitive to any changes in medications, etc. and if it causes a problem I usually feel it.  The ACTH stim test did not produce any side effects to worry about.  Other than as I said, you might feel a bit flushed / dazed / brain fog for a few minutes, but it's pretty light and goes away I'd say before the first 30 minute draw.
My son has had this done twice with no ill effects. Unless you count the crisis 24 hours after the second one! The medics say it was not related to the test but to the virus he went down with a week later.