Aldosterone/renin ratio 172.0..doctor's office says "normal"
I recently had my aldosterone and renin checked. The results were: Aldosterone 17.2, Renin 0.1, Aldosterone/Renin Ratio 172.0.
For years I've had low potassium and taking a potassium prescription which gets me into 'normal' range (4.2).  When not on the prescription, I quickly fall out of 'normal' range.  I'm also taking 25mg daily of Spironolactone for elevated BP. My BP now runs pretty low (100's over 70's).
I don't know a lot about the Aldosterone/Renin Ratio, but did notice on the lab report that the results were flagged "high" and anything above 25 is suggestive of hyperaldosteronism.
Am I mis-understanding this or should I be seeking more info from my doctor on this?  
Thanks in advance for any help!
What type of doctor did the test, and on that day, how were sodium and potassium?

I would take the results to an endo for a work up on the adrenals just to be certain... the low K should be looked at. It is rather odd that your BP runs so low from being high...
The test was done at my internist's office.  There were several fasting labs he ordered and my potassium was 4.2 (range 3.5-5.5) and sodium was 141 (range 133-148).

My doctor is out of town this week, but I'll probably call next week to give him a chance to explain test results to me before I see an endo.  

My doctor has tried to figure out the cause of low potassium, but hasn't been able too.  This is the first time he's ordered the Aldosterone/Renin Activity Ratio, so may we're on to something!  
Thanks for your input!
I think - and this is only speculation - he ignored the ratio as your sodium and potassium were normal. My thinking for this is that renin and aldosterone control sodium and potassium, so I was thinking they would have to be somewhat off for the ratio to be off like that... so I find the ratio to be strange - I wonder how it is computed!

I have had a couple of friends that lose K for *no* reason and pass out from the same. Both of them were part of my Cushing's disease circle though - so they had high cortisol - but cycled (so did I) and also hit lows. My one friend hit really low and usually that is when her K would tank. The docs never figured it out. Even after her adrenals were removed, the K would tank, but after a while, she stabilized. It is super crazy!

In the health pages there is a link to a lab pages - it may help you?