Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Am I on the right path to adrenal support

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

diagnosed with hashimotos january 2010.  Tried every thyroid medication known to mankind.  Everything just makes my symptoms worse.  I was told that perhaps my adrenal glands could not support the thyroid medication.  So I just did one of those 4 spit adrenal tests, waiting for the results.  I am not on any thyroid medication right now.  My ears rings, im beat down, i feel horrible.

everyone says i need adrenal support.   I am not really sure what to do since every doctor i have seen says that this theory is impossible.

I am taking some stuff called "adrenal success"   It looks like a mess of stuff in it

rhodiloa
ashwagandha
eluthro
schisandra
wood betony
cordycepts
maitake mushroom

L-theanine 75MG
Gaba 25 MG

I have no idea if this stuff is even valid, but im taking it.  

what else can i do?
this is the cr@p im taking

http://www.nutraceutical.com/search/view_product.cfm?product_index=5885891
good but add b 6 and alot of vitamin c
ALSO ALOT OF WATER AND REST
Bruce, did you ever get the 24 hr saliva adrenal test from a chiro doctor or holistic type? It runs around $125 - 150. You spit in 4 tubes and mail it back. You need to know what your adrenals are doing at what time.

What you get back is a chart or graph of your adrenal function 4 times during the day.

No medical doc will ever use this for some reason - dont waste your time on this with them.
Moose! Hello sir.  

I did the adrenal spit test.  I spit into 4 tubes.  At 9 am when I woke, 1 pm, 6 pm, and 10 pm.   I mailed the tubes off but have not seen the results yet.  If this thing comes back abnormal, then what?
Is there anyone on here that will mentor me through this?
Well then wait for the results, it should not take more than two weeks. It might also come with some explanation if your results are abnormal.

It seems like most adrenal issues on this site are pure Addisons or Cushings, stressed adrenals are neither one of these so info is hard to find - a very gray area, thats why med docs 'blow' it off as a possibility.

Did you get the saliva test your self or through a 'holistic chiro' - the later would have been better, as one might understand and walk you through the results.

If it looks like you have stressed adrenals, there is no one way to treat it - but its with supplements, sometimes hormone. Like thyroid, there is more than one adrenal hormone. Cortisol is the only thing you here about.

The stuff your on would be in the support, not replacement category. Its a guessing game to some extent.

This place is nation wide, says they do adrenals. Many locations.

B o d y L o g i c M D *******

I have told you all I know, so I am not the mentor your looking for. As I said, most here have full blown addisons or cushings - those show up on regular MD blood cortisol testing.

The saliva and urine tests are not considered diagnostic by MD's.

What you need is Serum AM and PM cortisol.  And on another day, Serum ACTH baseline with ACTH Stimulation Test.
Oops, didnt mean to ask what your post already said (I read your other post but answered this one!).

So, to clarify from what I remember your discussing adrenal testing on the thyroid board summer / fall,  you had tested what component mentioned, right?  - 'Serum ACTH baseline with ACTH Stimulation Test' ?
Yes did ACTH but not serum am and pm,,   There is a body logic here but she no take insurance,,,,
Was that ACTH SERUM by itself?

or the ACTH Stimulation Test? (where they give you an IV push of cotrosyn and check your cortisol 30 min and 60 min)  It's essential to also get a baseline cortisol and acth with this stim test.

AM Cortisol and PM Cortisol is just getting it morning and near night to check your fluctuation.
It's the second one you mentioned.   May I ask  why?
I would call your doctor and get into see an Endocrinologist, they specialize in treating adrenal insufficiency.  Based on the fact that I had alot of thyroid problems, feeling like crap all the time, muscle pain and weakness, dizzy all the time, gallbladder and digestion problems, you name it I experienced it, then noone could figure it out and I went into the hospital where I almost died mutluple times before I was diganosed with Addisions Disease which is Primary Adrenal Insufficency.  I would either ask to see an endo or have your primary care doc order the following tests asap.  They need to be done in the morning....

Primary:
anitadrenal antibodies
DHEA-S
aldosterone
electrolytes
renin

Secondary:

MRI of pituitary with contrast
LH
FSH
ACTH
PRL

Also there is a great website that I have found alot of helpful information, and reserach for thyroid, adrenal, diabities etc.  Below is the link  Good Luck  Christine

http://www.**************.***
IGF-1 ..
Under the above post the IGF-1 needs to be under the secondary list of testing, sorry my browser went crazy on me
I was just trying to clarify.  

What were the numbers for your stim test?  If you are even low normal, you could try a trial of presciption HC; OTC herbals won't supply what you need if your adrenals are shot.
also drink gatorade

Are you talking hc cream?   What is anti adrenal antibodies?
Adrenal antibodies are like termites eating a wood frame house. Only the house is your adrenal glands.

The antibody test looks for them and while it can't eliminate them, at least you know what the problem is.

The HC is not cream. The cream they use is low potency. If they prescribe HC for adrenals, it's low dose by medical standards, but not as low dose as the itch cream. It's the replacement for natural cortisol put out by your adrenals.
Is it rx only?