Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Any Insight for Possible Symptoms?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

Any Insight for Possible Symptoms?

I am in increasing pain daily and medical doctors are simply guessing and checking the last 6 months from a  gluten intolerance to gall stones. I have yet to have any relief despite very strong efforts to eat simply and sleep plenty, and exercise regularly. I am so exasperated and desperate to feel better. I am hoping someone can share information for guidance in a more helpful direction.
          I am a 19 year old female. My frustrations begin within the last year, I have a strong yellowish pigmentation developing for about 6 months now on my armpit, groin, knuckles/ bony prominences of hands and feet, hairline and facial creases. I always have pain with eating these past 9 months whether mild or severe regardless of what food I eat and have constipation and/or diarrhea daily. I always have abdominal pain after eating with gas and bloating/distentionin the lower region combined with sharp pains in the upper region. I am on a very bland diet of basically rice with well some cooked beans and vegetables; the pain persists. I am always tired and feel fatigued despite how much I sleep. Every month or so, the symptoms increase and I usually get new ones. Yesterday, i began having a ridiculous craving for salt, and I am persistently thirsty. I am losing my appetite despite for salt. My lower back (above my pelvis) constantly aches along with the base of my head and most of my muscles and joints. Additionally, my menstrual cycle has been completely irregular the past six months; I have only had a period 3 of those months, and they all have been unusual. I have had nausea spells and dry heaving with burping for over 24 hours now. I am very spacey/ unable to focus or concentrate to the point where I can spend 3 hours to make, eat, and clean up a meal that used to take me 45 minutes maximum. I have been having mood swings with increasing intensity for 6 months; I work very hard at staying centered. I have been medically seen, but I have received the same statement I have gotten from the numerous doctor visits the past 6 months, "Your vitals are fine and you can go. If anything gets worse come back." which I usually do in about a month with worsening symptoms. I feel very frustrated.
    I have been trying to be my own advocate and find possible explanations. I have read about Addison's disease along with other endocrine malfunctions and I am hoping someone may have some insight. I am very grateful and appreciative for any help. Thank you very much.
I think you may need to check out several things, due to the Symptoms mentioned, Do you have a home blood pressure monitor, if so a home test exists for adrenal insfficiency, let me know if you have the BP Monitor, If not you can do the other home test, Have a relative or friend with you and a flashlight, go into a darkened room, sit for about fifteen minutes in the dark so your pupils constrict, then have the whoever is with you, shine and hold the light into an eye, and watch the pupil of your eye, If the pupil dialates (Enlarges) and stays enlarged, you don't have an Adrenal Issue, if the pupil dialates and constricts back and forth, then that would indicate Addisons Disease or Adrenal Insufficiency. If you have the BP monitor, attach the cuff to your upper arm, have a pencil and paper with you, lie down on the bed and rest for 20 minutes, take your BP while prone, stay lying down and note the BP on the paper, Then stand up and take your BP, if the result is the same or lower than the prone position, this would indicate an Adrenal Issue, Normal would be if your BP increases by 10-20 on the monitor. Has your MD taken any lab tests for thyroid ie: Free T3, Free T4 ?
If so post them here with the Reference ranges provided for each.  Let me know what your outcome is on the home adrenal tests.  Best Regards FTB4
Suggest finding an integrative doctor who will test thyroid - FT3, FT4, RT3, check cortisol levels, and order a brain and pituitary scan with contrast.  Other tests will be determined by the results of those tests.
Why such a bland diet?

If your body is craving salt - give in and have the salt. Try it and see if you feel better. Your body is trying to tell you something. It is a sign. Have you obtained any copies of your past labs - any low sodium testing? If you don't have appetite - get salt tablets or drink something salty or just salt your food. I use sea salt as it tastes better.  

Doctors tend not to see anything. Addison's hyperpigmentation tends to be more brown though and not yellow - so I hope they have checked out your liver and gall bladder.

You need a decent endocrinologist and yes, they are hard to find.