Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Anyone with Thyroid and Adrenal issues?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

Anyone with Thyroid and Adrenal issues?

I have Hashimoto's and Adrenal Fatigue and I'm 8 weeks pregnant. Apparently I can't take Cortef while I'm pregnant with it being a steroid, but I have to take Synthroid now.  
What I don't get is if you're adrenal issues are not under control you should not take thyroid medication, with the exception of being pregnant? Has anyone else ever dealt with this? I feel like the Synthroid is making me even more tired if that's possible. :( I just hope and pray I can have a healthy baby.

Any advice? Thanks in advance :)
How much cortef were  you taking before?
A person with diagnosed AI (where adrenals do not function at all) does take cortef during pregnancy - and works with their endo and gyne about dosing. After all, pregnancy is a stress on the body and and the cortisol is needed to live.
Are you under the care of an endo?
I am, and my adrenals have not failed me completely. They are insufficient. I don't have addisons. They told me because it's a steroid it will effect the baby's growth. And they out me on synthroid instead. I was on 10 mg of Corted, 5mg in the AM 5 in the afternoon. Doctors suuuck.
Avatar n tn
If you have hashimoto's why did they not already have you on thyroid medication??   It sounds like they were treating your hashimoto's with cortisol instead of thyroid meds---am I understanding that right?

If they keep your thyroid levels sufficient with the hashimoto's, ideally you should be able to go off of the cortisol.   did they do a stim test to test for adrenal insufficiency---i noticed you referred to it as adrenal fatigue in your first post.

My sister has hashimoto's and her endocrinologist was not going to treat it until she developed symptoms---why would he want her to get sick first, and then treat her thyroid disease??   She has a new doctor now who is treating her with thyroid to hopefully avoid her ever developing the symptoms---he is also monitoring her cortisol levels. she originally thought she would only need to take cortef for a period of time, but she is not producing enough cortisol even with the thyroid treatment, so she will be staying on it.
Everything says to treat adrenal issues BEFORE starting thyroid treatment/medication. Even the prescription instructions. I have Hashi's and underactive adrenals. Thyroid medicine makes me so sick.. more tired than ever. I've tried Armour which made me miss almost 3 weeks of work, and synthroid. Nothing helps. Coref was helping. But apparently that will harm the baby.
Why not talk to a pharmacist? Cortef treats a lot of conditions - and there is a difference is a replacement dose vs a dose intended to reduce inflammation or suppress an immune system.

People with Addison's do have children and must take a replacement during pregnancy.
Sana2016 joined this community
Welcome them!
May 25
BarbieDob01 emmadob Comment
May 22
ChitChatNine commented on Cindy's status
May 19