Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Bad reaction to ACTH test, have been weak, shaky, sweating, nausea, diz...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

Bad reaction to ACTH test, have been weak, shaky, sweating, nausea, dizzy for a month

I was feeling ok before an ACTH test except that I had been feeling mild nausea for a few months and salt cravings.  Two hours after the test I started sweating, felt like I was going to pass out and throw up, weak and shaky.  For the past month I have had severe muscle weakness and with walking the above symptoms.  It is like my system just crashed after the test.  There were no other factors involved.  My results were base 1.4, 30-4.2, 60-5.4.  Endo immedialtely put  me on hydrocortisone 25mg/day.  But, it has not helped at all.  We even doubled it to 50mg/day for a week.  I did have a good day the first day after doubling but then two days of severe weakness and this pattern continues.  Has anyone else out there experienced this?  Doc was mystified but finally said the ACTH test probably stressed my body too much.  That would explain the muscle weakness but not the shaky, sweating, etc. when trying to get up and move about.  I am considering switching to prednisone since the hydrocortisone isn't helping.  Any ideas what is causing the sweating, shaky, nausea, feel like passing out, symptoms?  Also, weight and blood pressure shot up after hydrocortisone, any chance that prednisone would be better?  Thanks, signed mystified and with a doctor who is mystified.
You may not just need HC - what about florinef? You may need that to hold on to the sodium.

Plus you may have other concurrent issues. If you stay on 50mg - you are risking steroid induced Cushing's and then a host of new issues. That should be temporary. Like a stress dose.

The doc should test you for new issues - you have one disease, you can have others. The immune system rather bites when you adrenals tank so it leaves you open to other things - and you may also need other adrenal meds too like dhea, florinef. Make sure too that you have enough salt and fluids to make up for the sweating.

Did the doc explain about the loss of salt? You sound like you are on the verge of a crisis = and that means you need salt, fluids and if you need, then lots of cortef. Nausea is a sign things are not right. Did you get an emergency injection? medic alert bracelet? Anti-nausea pills?

You need a doc who knows what they are doing. BTW weight would go up more with pred - once you learn to moderate your dose, get florinef and all, you can go back down and feel better. Get another doc.