Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Best cortisol tests?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

Best cortisol tests?

I'm about to get a cortisol test done and my doctor wants to do a urine test, yet an endocrinologist recommended a cortrosyn stimulation test and another doctor doctor recommended a 24 hour swab test.
Seeing as how I've had these symptoms for 5 years, does it change which one I should take? Or should I be safe and get them all?
Get the saliva test, it will show your cortisol levels at 4 diff times of the day.  Cortisol should be highest in morning and slowly declines all day.  A blood test won't show if your cortisol is normal for the whole day.  Some people in early stages of adrenal fatigue have un-normal fluctuations, especially high cortisol at night, which causes insomnia, and a moderate fatigue.   I am in late stage adrenal exhaustion with extreme fatigue and my cortisol is below normal levels all day.
Cool, thank you!
The stim test is the gold standard to diagnose adrenal insufficiency - however that is usually done after a battery of baseline testing which can and should be a number of urine, blood and saliva tests as well as ACTH, antibody and depending on your symptoms, renin/aldosterone and electrolytes.

High cortisol at night is a loss of diurnal rhythm - and is a sign of Cushing's disease, not low cortisol.
Thanks for the additional info. I've actually had a lot of baseline tests run (T3, T4, etc) and they all came back normal. I have low normal testosterone but everything else seems to be good- except for my symptoms.
Additionaly, does anyone have info on the cortrosyn stimulation test?
Those are thyroid tests - so that is baseline thyroid. You need more adrenal testing which is another ball of wax so to speak. Plenty of people just have just thyroid or just adrenal issues - they can happen together but it is not a given.

The stim test should be given in the morning, fasting - they take a baseline draw so they have a number where you started. Some offices may take one or two. They usually put in an IV so there is only one stick. Then at a certain interval, they give you the stim agent, then at a certain time later, they take another draw - and depending on the office again, they may do a several timed tests or just one. Usually people only feel flushed with the test but make sure you have someone with you just in case you get sick - not common but it can happen. They can also give you another stim agent as well to try to determine source - as it can be adrenal or pituitary in source.
ChitChatNine 's ear surgery for kitty ag... Comment
Aug 28
AlyssaWhite0908 commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
Aug 27
Jade59 commented on photo
Aug 25