Aa
A
A
Close
Desperately seeking help
My serum cortisol level is <1 and ACTH= 5.4. I take 40 mg Decadron weekly on Thursdays for Myeloma treatment and understand that this will lead to secondary adrenal insufficiency. I feel as though I am on deaths doorstep Monday through Thursday. My Dr tells me this is just how it works, but I am not satisfied with this answer. Any insights or recommendations. P.S I have been feeling like I was having adrenal insufficiency since well before the Decadron therapy started but my M.D.'s have declined to address my concerns for over 6 months.

Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
657231 tn?1453836403
I would go see an endocrinologist. With the AI - you may need other support - as in florinef and testing to see if other hormones can be brought up to make you feel better.

Are sodium and potassium in range? Do you crave salt? Your ACTH is being suppressed by the decadron - but 40mg is really high. 5 to 7.5mg is a completely suppressive dose for the adrenals.

The once a week dosing schedule too - that would leave your adrenals high and dry - no tapering to get them to wake up and leaves you at risk for everything.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Recent Activity
495284 tn?1333897642
Blank
dominosarah commented on photo
3 hrs ago
649848 tn?1424570775
Blank
Barb135 commented on photo