Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Does low sodium cause muscle cramps?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

Does low sodium cause muscle cramps?

Hi there

I may have caused secondary adrenal insufficiency due to yo-yo dramatically on steroids.  I understand that one of the symptons is low sodium.  I have been having severe cramps recently, and was wondering if they are a result of low sodium.

Any clues?

Thanks for any advice.
If you want to check out a good salt, I use celtic sea salt. The kind that is not bleached white. It has all the trace minerals in it. It is recommended that people with adrenal insuff. drink 1/4 tsp in a cup of water a day. You can check this out on the websites though.
Hi there!  Sea salt is recommended for people with adrenal fatigue but your cramps could also be caused by low potassium levels. Have you had those checked?
Calcium might help with the muscle cramps.  Sodium is good for the adrenal insufficiency.  Be careful with the potassium,  I've read in the Adrenal Fatigue book that potassium isn't good for adrenal dysfunction.
Do you have Addisons Disease?  Usually people with Addisons have salt cravings because they can't retain sodium.

Sodium is the catalyst that allows us to absorb water... and with that electrolytes.

Low electrolytes would account for the cramping.  Talk to your doctor about the possibility and perhaps he might put you on something like pedialite or something else for the cramps.

As Schwartzy said, be careful with the potassium.  People with Addisons generally have high potassium levels and low sodium levels.
Thanks all for your comments.  My potassium is normal but waiting for sodium results. I have a high salt diet and didn't want to take extra sodium until I was sure its necessary.  I will try the rehydration powder like pedialyte (for adults).